Career

Balancing Part-Time Work and Studies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Whether you wait tables, au pair, bartend, tutor, work in retail, or freelance, having a part-time job on top of being a full-time student is something to be proud of: just by taking on work and putting in the extra hours, you show commitment and initiative. It’s also a constant lesson in time- and stress-management. I’m still learning how to manage it all, but below are a few suggestions that have helped me to (somewhat) find a balance between the demands of both job and coursework.

Prioritize in order to organize

Prioritizing properly involves really considering which aspects of your studies, work, and personal life are the most urgent and important to manage. Some things are pretty inescapable, like deadlines and your grandmother’s birthday. Making a list of your commitments in order of priority will help to clarify which work needs to be given the most focus. This is such an important tool for planning ahead. Also, remember that you are not being a bad person by turning down requests for your time and energy that you aren’t comfortable with or that don’t align with your priorities – but, if you do make commitments, do your best to honour them.

Schedule in “buffer time”

Don’t take on every project that you believe you could possibly manage, and schedule in more time than you think will be necessary for every task. This gives you some leeway, especially on the occasions when something doesn’t quite go according to plan. Particularly when we’re excited about projects and opportunities, we can tend to overestimate how productive we can really be and how much time we have. This is a recipe for burnout. Try to make only the commitments that you are sure you’ll be able to deliver on – this way, you’re much less likely to overcommit and won’t let anyone down.

Keep in contact

This ties in with planning ahead. When working with other people, try to make a point of letting everyone involved know your progress and any delays you can foresee well before the due date. This shows consideration for other people’s time and will be greatly appreciated by your peers and bosses alike. For instance, as soon as you have your exam timetable, give your employer early notice that you will need to take the time off. Remember that most people will be understanding and accommodating if you state your needs with respect and professionalism.

Look after yourself

Be as diligent about making time to eat, sleep, relax, and breathe as you are with scheduling your study timetables and work shifts. Don’t be ashamed to speak up when you aren’t managing and ask for help when you need it – everyone needs it at some point. In a world that seems to measure our every move, this can’t be overstated: you are worth more than your productivity, worth more than the grades you earn, and worth more than the work you do.

Hey, I'm Sasha! Reader and language-learner, writer, artist, and aspiring translator. Usually found admiring the views from UCT campus or exploring the library.