This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

UCT Ikeys Crushes 2.0… the backbone of the University of Cape Town’s romantic world. With each new dawn, fresh posts arrive. With them they carry the hopes, fears and desires of many a lovestruck soul. And how many of these pleas for love are left in the dust? Lol, probably most of them.

And so, friends, perhaps it is time to abandon the pursuit for an Ikey tiger. You deserve faithfulness, cuteness, compassion, a silly lil waddle… you deserve a penguin.

Unfortunately, the lovely little African penguins are classified as endangered. However, hope is not lost! You can still make difference, and, along the way, maybe even win the heart of one of these beauties! It’s Penguin Week at the Two Oceans Aquarium until 29 April! The folks over at the aquarium know how tough it can be to approach these perfect fellows, so they’ve organised a few activities over the upcoming weekend to help you charm a lil penguin friend!

1. Dress the part

Now, penguins are fashionable little folks. They walk around in tuxedos 24/7, and while they may not mind how fancy you dress, they would certainly appreciate it if you put in some effort! To help you out, the Aquarium encourages you to dress in black and white, take a bomb-ass picture and share it on social media with #PenguinWeek! If the penguins find your ensemble particularly intriguing, they will reward you with some special penguin socks, or a Penguin Experience for two, where you might get to meet your favourite little pengleng!

1. Get to know your penguin

Much like we all have our own fingerprints, African penguins all have a unique spot pattern on their chest! Your little penguin friend would be dismayed if you lost track of them amongst their many fellow penguins. So, grab a “spot map” when you get your ticket, and jot down the special pattern of your favourite penguin! That way you’re sure to recognise them in all future visits and pictures!

1. Take them for a romantic stroll

Who doesn’t love a long walk on the beach? Clichés are clichés for a reason. If the majestically eyebrowed rockhopper penguins are more your type, you can accompany them on their “Penguin Parade” from their outdoor enclosure to their indoor beach. The walk will give you an opportunity to get to know your little friend, and, of course, admire their lil waddle because IT’S JUST SO DAMN CUTE.

1. Learn more about them

There is so much to know about our slippery friends, and your penguin will absolutely love it if you make an effort to learn about them. Luckily, the aquarium is providing plenty of opportunities! There will be puppet shows, Rockhopper Q&A sessions, educational films, and opportunities to meet representatives from organisations such as the South African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) and the African Penguin and Seabird Sanctuary (APSS). And, of course, you can attend a penguin feeding session. We all know that the way to the heart is through the stomach, and so it’s important to understand exactly what your little penguin needs to be a happy birdy! The more you know about these lovely little borbs, the more likely you are to work your way into their hearts.

1. Bless them

Finally, the aquarium provides plenty of opportunities for you to support the penguins and give them happy and healthy lives! A portion of your ticket fee will go towards conservation causes. You can also add a little extra to the Conservation Wishing Well, if you really want to make an impression! The surest way to win your penguin’s heart is to help ensure that they, and their many (endangered) penguin friends, are protected and cared for.

By taking advantage of these opportunities, you will be well on your way to finding your perfect penguin companion! These feathery friends need our help, and you have the ability to give them the safe and happy life they deserve! Let’s get share some love!

Follow this link for a full breakdown of the events offered at the aquarium for penguin week!

Tickets are available for R130 for South African students.

I am a third year student at the University of Cape Town, studying a Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies and English Literature. I dabble in photography, rock climbing and Youtube binges.
Julia Naidoo is an English and Linguistics major at the University of Cape Town. She is the former co-Correspondent for the chapter as well as the former Senior Editor.