Girl On Bench With Backpack
Girl On Bench With Backpack
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

5 Natural Remedies to Boost Your Immune System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

With the change in season, and being in the midst of a pandemic, taking steps to ensure your immune system is in tip-top shape is vital. If you are someone who doesn’t usually fuss over this sort of thing, now is a good time to start. Staying healthy – especially during this time – is vital, not only for ourselves but for our loved ones and others around us. 

Here are 5 natural, home remedies for you to implement in your daily routine, in no particular order. Just remember: for these remedies to be effective they must be done consistently over time. Using the following remedies alongside immune-boosting medication is great for an additional boost and protection.

Sleep

We need sleep to rest our conscious mind and to recharge the body. Not all sleep is made equal though. Getting good, quality sleep is very important and will work to your advantage. There is a direct correlation between a person having a healthy immune system and their sleeping pattern, proven by several studies. You should aim to get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep and try to go to bed at the same time every night. 

To ensure that you get uninterrupted and restful sleep, try steer away from substances such as alcohol, caffeine and eating too much right before bed. Turning off gadgets like your cell phone, laptop or television at least thirty minutes before you sleep is guaranteed to benefit you. The infamous ‘blue light’ radiating from devices interferes with the production of melatonin (sleep hormone) in the body. 

Sleep helps regulate our appetite, mood and stress levels. Therefore, the lack thereof can contribute significantly to an unhealthy mind and body.

Reduce stress

Ever heard of cortisol? Well, it is also known as the ‘stress hormone.’ It is released when you are faced with stressful situations and are feeling anxious. All of us need some level of cortisol in order to survive, however, it becomes a problem when it is released in excess. Too much stress weakens the immune system, making you susceptible to all kinds of infections and illnesses. 

A few coping mechanisms to help you reduce stress during these tough times include: meditating for 15 minutes a day, painting/drawing, journaling your thoughts and feelings and listening to calming music. All these activities will help occupy your mind when you’re feeling a little stressed.

Move your body

You’ve probably heard this over and over again, but yes, exercise is one of the best things you can do for your body and general well-being. Aim to exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes twice or thrice a week. As a natural detoxifier, exercise lowers cortisol levels and releases ‘feel good’ endorphins, also known as dopamine. 

There are an overwhelming number of free workouts for you to choose from on the internet. If you’re looking for a killer strength and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout, I would recommend Whitney Simmons – a personal favourite fitness-YouTuber.

Remember that ‘exercise’ doesn’t necessarily imply lifting weights or running a mile. Dancing, walking, doing yoga as well as gardening are all effective ways to exercise and to get your heart rate going. On the plus side, these can all be done in the comfort of your own home.

Healthy eating

It’s easy to fall into the trap of eating junk food and prioritising convenience over everything at this point in time. However, making healthier choices like always being well hydrated and consuming nourishing foods such as fruits and vegetables will aid your immune system in functioning efficiently.

Ginger and garlic are wonderful in helping the body fight against colds and flus due to their anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Adding them to your tea and juices or adding extracts into meals are a few ways in which you can conveniently include them in your diet.

Wash your hands

A no-brainer, right?

Practicing good hygiene is very important in helping you and your health. Regularly washing your hands throughout the day, with soap, for 20 seconds is an effective way to prevent germs and infectious illnesses from entering your body through your eyes, nose and mouth.

TIP: If you happen to blow your nose, sneeze or cough into your hands, kindly wash your hands immediately to avoid contaminating other shared surfaces – it is the responsible thing to do. Alternatively, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if you are unable to gain access to soap. 

Finally, washing fruits and vegetables before you eat them is as important as washing your hands.

Stay safe, stay healthy!

Danielle is currently completing her undergraduate degree at the University of Cape Town, where she is majoring in applied statistics in the commerce faculty. She hopes to use her statistical knowledge in the medical field one day. She has a passion for fitness, health/wellness and beauty. She enjoys reading and writing in her free-time. Be sure to follow her makeup page on Instagram @makeupwith.danni