5 Coffee Spots Around Cape Town That You Need To Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

As a coffee enthusiast, I spend most of my weekends exploring different coffee spots around our beautiful city. Below is a list of my top five favourites that not only offer good coffee and food, but provide a unique experience that will leave you wanting to come back for more!

1. Mulberry & Prince

Located in Cape Town City Centre, Mulberry & Prince is a small and beautiful coffee spot. Behind its dusty-pink doors, you will find a café that has a sophisticated and aesthetic design, aiming to bring a little piece of New York to Cape Town. It is the ideal place for group gatherings as their food portions are sized to share. Any urban dweller who appreciates simplistic and contemporary design will enjoy this one.

2. The Gardener’s Cottage

The Gardener’s Cottage is a quiet, hidden gem located in Newlands, about five minutes away from the University of Cape Town. It is situated in the Montebello Centre between a greenhouse nursery, some craft shops & a design centre. The cottage is the perfect place to unwind at with family and friends after a long day. The earthy and welcoming set up makes this place a true safe haven to enjoy your coffee experience and Mother Nature. My personal favourite, aside from the coffee, is the wild goose bakery artisanal bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese and wasabi mayo, yummy!

3. Dapper Coffee Co.

Dapper Coffee Co. is not your typical coffee spot. Located on the corner of Bree & Strand Street, this hip and stylish café attracts vintage car and coffee enthusiasts. While sipping on your cup of Joe, admire some classic and luxurious cars at Club9, a vintage car collection showroom that is located in the same space as the café. The showroom mostly contains classic Porsche models. While I am not much of a vintage car enthusiast, Dapper Coffee Co. definitely brings out my appreciation for aesthetic product design. They also offer a wide selection of good food, including some vegan options. I recommend the chicken burger.

4. Truth Coffee

Truth Coffee has been voted the world’s best coffee shop by The Daily Telegraph, and with good reason! It is a steam-punk inspired artisan coffee shop, filled with metal piping and vintage machinery which will make your visit an experience to remember. There are quite a few espresso-based drinks to choose from on the menu, so when in doubt, I always keep it classic by ordering a flat white.

5. Clay Café

Clay Café is situated in Hout Bay and is the perfect place to work on your creativity. Do some therapeutic painting and drawing on your very own personalized item of pottery, and then take it home to spoil yourself or a loved one with a hand-painted gift. There is a wide selection of ceramics to choose from, including mugs, plates or smaller items, such as a heart ceramic shape. You get to choose three colors of paints to decorate your chosen ceramic piece. I have a deep passion for art, so for me, this one is definitely a goodie as it combines my love for art, coffee and good views. I can spend hours here and be perfectly content!

Hi! I am a 20-something UCT student passionate about health, fitness and wellness. I also have a creative flair for art, fashion and all things design. I hope to share my experiences being on a health journey with a student budget.