This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

From the look of things, winter is still here for a few more weeks. Although you might not want to go out in the rain, there are many other ways of making the most out of a free weekend and one of them is by indulging in a well-written book over a nice cup of hot chocolate. Here are some great books you can read over the weekend. They are short but increasingly enjoyable and some of them contain invaluable life lessons one should always know. 

1. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry

This is the most translated book from the French language. I have read and re-read this book so many times. If you have not yet read this simple yet profound book narrating the life of the protagonist, The Little Prince, your life is not complete yet!

Quotes: “And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

“Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies.”

2. Unshaken: Ruth by Francine Rivers

This book belongs to “The lineage of Grace” Series and is such an enjoyable historical fiction based on the story of a woman called Ruth. She loses everything and yet chooses to stay by her mother-in-law’s side while expecting nothing in return. Little did she know what was about to unfold, as her act of loyalty proved to be one of redemption and provision. The lesson? Even when things appear to be a disaster, there is always hope where there is life. It is so uplifting and encouraging.

Quotes: “Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars.”

“Nothing brings people closer together than shared suffering”

3. ‘TED Talks’ by Chris Anderson

If you enjoy watching TED talks – and possibly hope to give one yourself – this book is for you. It simplifies the whole idea behind giving a presentation, thus demystifying TED talks and showing you how you too can be the amazing public speaker that you are. Reading this will get you out of your shell. And it was written by the head of TED himself!

“Presentation literacy isn’t an optional extra for the few. It’s a core skill for the twenty-first century.”

“Ants shape each other’s behaviour by exchanging chemicals. We do it by standing in front of each other, peering into each other’s eyes, waving our hands and emitting strange sounds from our mouths. Human-to-human”

4. Things fall apart by Chinua Achebe

With a bit of commitment, this novel can be conquered over a weekend. The novel is split into three parts. The first part narrates the story of Okwonko, a Nigerian wrestling champion. The second and final parts explore the introduction of British colonialism and Christian missionaries in Nigeria. This book is among the first African books to receive international acclaim and is read by thousands of people around Africa because it is so good! Also, the African proverbs that run throughout the book are a plus as the more the reader turns those pages, the more wisdom they acquire. You can get it online FOR FREE!

“Age was respected among his people, but achievement was revered. As the elders said, if a child washed his hands he could eat with kings.”

“If I hold her hand she says, ‘Don’t touch!’ If I hold her foot she says ‘Don’t touch!’  But when I hold her waist-beads she pretends not to know.”

5. Animal Farm by George Orwell

Although an allegory of the Russian Revolution, this book also provides in-depth insight into human behaviour when power is involved. Despite its simplistic nature, you will learn a thing or two from it. After all, beauty is sometimes found in simplicity!

Quotes: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” 

“Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps for himself.” 

I do hope this list comes in handy some time. Having read all five books, I can assure you that you will not waste your time if you dedicate this coming weekend to reading them.

Benita is a final year student at the University of Cape Town majoring in English & Media and also studying film. She enjoys writing and reading as well as doing anything creative and DIY. Benita is a people's person and likes nature and outdoor activities such as picnics. With her, anytime is a good time to go the movies or to eat popcorn. If she had a super power, it would be reading people's minds.