This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

There are few things that I love more than true crime films and series. If you feel the same, stick around. This list contains some of the best rated true crime documentaries that will have you gripping the edge of your seat and hanging onto every word of the narrator. But, be warned, some of these documentaries are that of a triggering nature, depicting violence, sexual crimes, blood, and death, and are not suited for sensitive viewers. Please be mindful of the age restriction on these documentaries and their triggers. Without further ado, first up is

The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

A dream vacation by the beach in Praia De Luz goes horribly wrong when a 3-year-old vanishes into thin air. Madeleine McCann, remembered by most for her unique characteristic, a freckle under her pupil, was near her fourth birthday when she was seemingly abducted in her sleep from a hotel, near where her parents were having dinner. One of the most prominent and sinister theories is that Madeleine was a victim of child sex trafficking. The other theory is that her parents were directly involved in her disappearance. This documentary explores both of those theories and many more. As the documentary follows the route of the investigation all the way to America, it poses the big question: Where is Madeleine McCann?

Confessions with a killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

Theodore Bundy, better known as Ted Bundy, is one of the United States’ most prolific serial killers. This four-part docuseries delves deep into the mind of Ted Bundy, and his horrific crimes. It contains clips and voice recordings of Bundy himself and also includes never before seen testimonies and footage of women who narrowly escaped him. Bundy maintained his innocence all the way to his death. Watch this documentary to follow Bundy’s killing spree from Utah all the way to Florida where he was executed via electric chair.

The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez

This is one of the most unflinching and gut-wrenching documentaries I have ever seen to date. This documentary studies the sheer inhumane, brutally violent crimes committed against an eight-year-old boy in California. Gabriel suffered from abuse at the hands of his very own mother and her boyfriend, which eventually resulted in his death. This docuseries examines Gabriel’s case in gruesome detail, from the first time he was abused to the fatal last time.

Forensic Files

One of the first of its kind, Forensic Files is a true crime docuseries in which each episode examines a crime in extreme detail, often with actual crime scene photographs or recordings. It is different from the previous docuseries mentioned in this list, in the sense that it is not centred around one person or crime, but follows a new case each episode. This series emphasises the importance of forensic science and shows the viewers how one minute detail can be a criminal’s undoing. These bite-sized true crime episodes are addictive and there are hundreds of episodes, categorized under ‘collections’ instead of seasons. It shows the process of solving a crime from start to finish.

One thing that all of these documentaries have in common is that they bring awareness and attention to pressing issues such as, but not limited to, domestic violence, sexual abuse, and substance abuse. These documentaries are also a powerful way to raise questions of what we can do to prevent these types of crimes from occurring and how we can help the victims of such crimes.

Just a writer at UCT