This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Sometimes when we are in the midst of our daily duties and chores we often don’t have the time to sit down and read a good book. Other times, when the workload of Uni is piling up and that 3000-word History Assignment you left up until the last 48 hours to complete is looming, we need a distraction (I am not recommending it- but I know the feeling). I have put together a list of some of my favourite novels I have come across over the last 3 years of Uni.

I feel I have to state that some of these novels have foul language, detailed sex scenes and a lot more sex scenes. What is college for if not to read novels our parents and teachers would never approve of?

After (a series) by Anna Todd

The novel After follows Tessa Young, a young who has always followed the rules and did what she was told. Now finding herself leaving her overbearing mother and sweet and reliable boyfriend Noah at home for college dorm life, she is no longer in her comfort zone. Tessa immediately meets the young, rude, tattooed Hardin who she should hate, but something about his darkness invites her in and a single kiss changes everything.

This ‘love’ story will haunt you forever… in a good way. This story is beautiful and heart-breaking and every college student in the world should read it. Their story continues in After We Collided, After We Fell and After Ever Happy.

Purchase the book here!

Thoughtless (a series) by S. C. Stephens

Kiera and Denny are a happy couple. After two years of dating, Denny is offered his dream job and Kiera is offered a great spot at a top university. Everything seems perfect. After relocating to Seattle, they move in with Denny’s long-time friend Kellan Kyle, a sexy local rock star. After Denny is forced to stay away and work longer hours, Kiera and Kellan find themselves spending more and more time together. Denny is everything to Kiera, but her new found friendship with the hot local rockstar is making it harder for Kiera to keep Denny in her heart.

This novel does so many great things, from talking about leaving loved ones behind, meeting new people, following one’s dream and most importantly love. How sometimes love happens to us and we are unable to choose with who. This story continues in Effortless and Reckless.

Purchase the book here!

Beautiful Disaster (a series) by Jamie McGuire

Abby Abernathy no longer lives in her past and, with the move to a new university with her best friend, Abby is whoever she wants to be. A good girl. Her past has no hold over her, but this new life is quickly challenged by Travis Maddox, a walking one-night stand. Abby is hell bent on staying away from Travis and his lifestyle of winning money fighting in underground ring fights. But Travis makes a bet with Abby she cannot refuse- if he wins his fight, Abby must live in Travis’s apartment for a month, and if he loses he has to remain abstinent for that same amount of time. Follow their story in A Beautiful Wedding and the love story from Travis’s point of view in Walking Disaster.

We love Travis, we hate him… and then we like him again. Decide for yourself.

Purchase the book here!

99 Days (a series) by Katie Cotugno

Molly Barlow is facing a long and hot summer- 99 days to be exact, with the boy whose heart she broke, Patrick, and the boy she broke it for, his brother Gabe. Throw in their pissed off sister Julia, who has decided that because Molly broke the best friend code by breaking her brother’s heart that no form of torture should be spared. The story is continued in 9 Days & 9 Nights.

We have all been in messy situations. This might help you put yours into perspective.

Purchase the book here!

Just One Day (a series) by Gayle Forman

American good girl Allyson “Lulu” Healy meets Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night. Sparks fly and Allyson finds herself trusting a complete stranger. After one day, the spark turns into flames. Until Allyson awakes the following morning after a magical day in Paris to discover Willem has left her. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to find herself and her almost-true-love. Their story continues in Just One Year and ends in Just One Night.

This is a magical and contains high levels of romance so watch out! You might find yourself wishing to fall in love with a complete stranger.

Purchase the book here!

The Summer I Turned Pretty (a series) by Jenny Han

Belly spends each year wishing for Summer, and her favourite time of the year is between June and August. The beach house is Belly’s safe haven and houses her beloved ‘other mother’ Susannah and her sons Jeremiah and Conrad. But this summer is different, Belly is different, and both of the boys have seemed to notice. The story doesn’t end here and is followed by It’s Not Summer Without You and We’ll Always Have Summer.

We all have a first love or at least someone we spent years crushing on. Belly is no exception and she is so relatable. Give her story a read, trust me you won’t regret it.

Purchase the book here!

The Deal by Elle Kennedy

Hannah Wells has finally found the man she is prepared to open up to and trust, especially when it came to sex and seduction. If she wants her crush’s attention then she needs to do whatever it takes, even if that means tutoring the cocky captain of the hockey team, Garrett Graham. Garrett’s GPA threatens his future in playing professional hockey, so helping Hannah get her crush’s attention meant nothing. He never went on ‘dates’, but this wasn’t a typical one…until a kiss between Hannah and Garrett changes everything.

This book is really great and deals with serious topics in a mature way. It is deeply entertaining, and you really root for Garrett and Hannah. 

FYI- Lots of sex, people.

Purchase the book here!

Beautiful Broken Rules (a series) by Kimberly Lauren

Emerson Moore learnt a valuable lesson from her parents which was never to get too attached to someone else. Okay, so she might have earned herself a certain reputation around campus, but no one got hurt- especially her. But when Jaxon Riley moves in next door, Emerson finds herself questioning her strict rule of staying casual and no attachments. This novel is followed by Beautiful Broken Mess and Beautiful Broken Promises.

Sometimes you gotta break the rules to find any kind of luck.

Purchase the book here!

But, I Love Him by Amanda Grace

At the beginning of the year Ann was a smiling, straight-A student who had a bright future and good friends. Until Ann meets a haunted young man named Connor. Ann believes only she can heal him, and only Connor can make her feel so loved and cared for. But by graduation, her life was no longer recognizable. Just one mistake and Connor would fly into a fit of range and damage everything and everyone in his path.

This story was important for me to include. This is about a love story gone wrong. Very wrong. We all know someone or maybe have experienced dangerous and toxic relationships but often we cannot quite understand it until the words are written on paper before us. This is a heart-breaking story which luckily has a happy ending.

Purchase the book here!

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

When Tate Collins meets Miles it was definitely not love at first sight, but they did recognise their undeniable chemistry and mutual attraction. Once they have acknowledged their feelings, they both realize they have the best set up: Miles does not want love, and Tate does not have time for love. Miles has two rules: Never ask about his past and do not expect a future. But as soon as their arrangement begins, these rules are tested.

This is a great novel with a strong female lead. I read the book in 2 days!

Purchase the book here!

I feel it is my obligation as a professional reader and wannabe writer to let you guys know there is no order of preference or importance when I decided to list these novels.

They are all great to me… so that’s the tea!

Enjoy!

I am a fourth year student, studying Film and Media Specializing in Screenwriting