david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Must Watch Movies for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

It’s spooky season and everybody’s in the mood to embrace their inner ghoul. In honor of Halloween, we’ve compiled a special list of scary, freaky and frightening movies that are a must watch. So, grab a bowl of popcorn and curl up on the couch, turn the lights off and get your adrenaline running. It’s fright night!

1. Jeepers Creepers (2001)

This is one of the first scary movies that opened the new millennium. It’s a combination of horror and thriller. Jeepers Creepers is a manifestation of one of our many nightmares: being eaten alive. A brother and sister drive home through isolated countryside for spring break and encounter a flesh-eating creature during its ritualistic eating spree.

2. Nightmare on Elm Street (2001)

In the spirit of nightmares, we couldn’t forget about the film that plagued our minds months after watching it. If this won’t make you dread the thought of going to bed, then you kept your eyes and ears closed during the film. Freddy Kruger, a disfigured midnight mangler, preys on a group of teenagers in their dreams. This, in turn, kills them in the real world. Talk about a night terror!

3. Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)

A weird one indeed. It will leave you … confused, to say the least. A bookish, young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world. The fantasy world consists of unusual and indescribable creatures which she must encounter and ultimately, escape.

4. The Craft (1996)

This movie encompasses two of my biggest fears, high school and mean girls. It follows a young girl named Sarah, who transfers to a school in Los Angeles. Her telekinesis gift appeals to a group of three wannabe witches, who happen to be seeking a fourth member for their rituals. With all of them coming from troubled backgrounds, the power progressively made them jealous, enraged and bloodthirsty.

5. Hide and Seek (2005)

A man decides to take his daughter away from New York to a house in the country for a fresh start after the suicide of his wife. The little girl befriends an imaginary character named Charlie. When Charlie starts to harbor resentment towards the father, the situation goes from bad to worse. This movie is great if you are into Mystery and Thriller movies. Get that heart rate up!

6. Saw (2004)

This one is not for the feint hearted and if you have a weak stomach, stay clear too. Imagine waking up with no recollection of how or why you are locked in a glass container. Two people wake up to realize that they are pawns in a twisted game planned by a serial killer. They must sacrifice each other and themselves to escape the game. A total spine chiller!

7. Annabelle (2014)

What is a true horror movie without a little demon possession and creepy inanimate objects? A husband thinks he’s found the perfect gift for his expecting wife. However, the excitement doesn’t last long. The couple’s home is invaded by a group of cultists who attempt to conjure a demon and smear blood in their child’s nursery, leaving a drop of blood on the doll. This turns the creepy little doll into an evil entity that plagues the couple.

8. The Conjuring (2013)

Following the theme of possession and hauntings, The Conjuring is the perfect movie for anyone ready for a real fright. Set in 1970, this movie follows a couple who are investigators and demonologists. The couple is enlisted by the Perrons and their five daughters who have recently moved into a secluded farmhouse when they believe there is a supernatural presence in the home. With a very horrifying history, the home plagues the family with a series of terrible events.

9. Stranger Things (2016-present)

This is for all those who may find horror movies to be a little too gruesome, but are curious about Area-51, conspiracy theories, and science fiction. Set in the early 80s, the Netflix original series follows a group of 12-year-old kids and the mysterious events occurring in their small hometown. The series is filled with adventures, alternate worlds and (haha) strange things.

10. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

A classic for the ages. Some might say it was the ‘Mother of Horror Movies’ (pun-intended). A young lady named Rosemary believes that her newborn baby is not quite…human. When she and her husband move to a New York apartment building with a dismal reputation, they befriend a mysterious and wealthy couple. Horrible visions and events begin to plague Rosemary, ultimately driving her to her death.

Co-founder and former correspondent for Her Campus at The University of Cape Town. Two-time graduate of the University of Cape Town holding a Bachelor of Social Sciences and Bachelor of Arts Honours specialising in Media Theory and Practice. Currently working towards my MA in Media Theory and Practice.  My name also kind of sounds like the chorus to September by Earth, Wind and Fire and once you hear it, it can't be unheard.