This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

There are some things I just cannot go without. The items on this list are ones that I find extremely useful. I use most of these items every day on campus, and if I forget to pack one of them in my bag, I feel the loss sorely. They’re small, so it strikes the perfect balance between convenience and practicality.

1. Hand sanitiser

Hand sanitiser is something that would also be worthy of a place in my survival-kit list. Touching elevator buttons, the computers on campus, bathroom door handles, or, worse, the hands of another person, makes me feel icky. On campus, one often comes into contact with people who have colds and flus. I believe hand sanitiser is the reason I haven’t gotten a cold this whole year. IT leaves my hands feeling super clean. I love it, I cannot go without it.

2. Hand cream

All that hand sanitising sometimes makes my skin parched. Hand cream is a great way to rejuvenate and moisturise dry, tight skin. I use shea butter cream with vitamin E. It smells really nice and doesn’t leave my hands feeling oily after application.

3. Tampons and pads

Sometimes periods hit unexpectedly, despite period calendar apps. Having an extra tampon and pad in my bag is reassuring, to say the least.

4. Pens

Pens are very useful, and having an extra pen in your schoolbag might also make your class acquaintance like you (lol). Pens seem like an obvious thing to keep in your schoolbag, but technology has made pens a second choice for note taking for many people. I like pens, and there are few things as satisfying as scratching out a task on my to-do list with a pen.

5. Lip ice

Days are long and spring is still treating us like winter. Lips deserve some TLC.

6. Spectacle holder and cleaning cloth

People who wear glasses know that glasses become smudged with fingerprints, dust and sometimes rain. After cleaning my glasses, I feel like I see the world with new eyes. Seriously.

7. Earphones

Everybody knows the real purpose of earphones is to avoid social interaction. They, therefore, deserve a place on this list.

8. Bubblegum

Feeling a minty tingle on my breath is always pleasant. The only downside is that chewing gum can make me feel hungry.

9. Hair tie

Hair gets in the way a lot. The worst is probably when the wind blows and my hair gets stuck to my lips after I’ve put on lip ice. Hair ties may also be the difference between a good hair day and a bad hair day.  

10. A water bottle

To me, the bigger the bottle, the better. Big water bottles are a bit heavy and bulky sometimes, though. But who cares about convenience when water literally has the power to revive you from the dead?

11. Panado

Okay, technically this list now has 11 items, but I couldn’t omit Panados. Headaches are often caused by stress, and all students are familiar with stress. Headaches can make concentration impossible, and popping a Panado can sometimes make me go the extra mile. Without it, I would just want to curl up in bed. (Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor, don’t listen to me).

I hope the items on this list are as useful to you as they are to me!

Third-year Media and Writing and English Literature student. Aspiring writer and philanthropist.
Co-founder and former correspondent for Her Campus at The University of Cape Town. Two-time graduate of the University of Cape Town holding a Bachelor of Social Sciences and Bachelor of Arts Honours specialising in Media Theory and Practice. Currently working towards my MA in Media Theory and Practice.  My name also kind of sounds like the chorus to September by Earth, Wind and Fire and once you hear it, it can't be unheard.