This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

In honor of International Women’s Day, Her Campus UCSD is featuring articles and posts acknowledging some various topics regarding women in entertainment, women’s health, and women’s achievements overall. To celebrate today, I wanted to touch on things that women have achieved in the past couple months of 2021. These definitely aren’t all of them because we’d be here forever trying to highlight every single woman worthy of acknowledgement this year. These are just a few that have definitely made some waves in the past couple months. 

Chloe Zhao

The Golden Globes a couple nights ago definitely caused a stir with the whole night focusing on diversity in the film industry and within the nominations of the Golden Globes as a whole. One notable woman was Chloe Zhao and her historic win at the ceremony as the first Asian American Woman to receive the award for Best Director for her film Nomadland which also won Best PictureIt was an amazing film featuring Frances McDormand as a woman who travels the American West. Beijing native Zhao was so deserving of this award and a testament to Asian American filmmakers and women filmmakers that deserve acknowledgment in the film industry. Zhao is also directing the new Marvel film The Eternals set to be released in November of 2021. 

Coach Maral Javadifar and Coach Lori Locust

While I’m not a sports person, I was definitely ecstatic to actually see some females on the field during the Superbowl this year. For the first time ever, female coaches were helping lead a Superbowl team to greatness this year. On the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, coaches Maral Javadifar and Lori Locust made headlines as both strength and conditioning coach and assistant defensive line coach for the Bucks. Truly amazing to finally see some female power helping bring this team to victory in 2021. 

Maia Chaka

Keeping up with the sports theme, Maia Chaka became the first woman official and first African American female official in NFL history. She had been part of the NFL’s Officiating Development Program since 2014 but has finally made her mark as an official in the sport. 

Raya and the Last Dragon

Disney just recently came out with their film Raya and the Last Dragon featuring tons of strong female power. After getting the chance to watch it, I felt it only makes sense to highlight it today. Actresses Kelly Marie Tran (Star Wars) and Awkwafina voice main characters Raya and the dragon Sisu on this animated, cultural marvel of a film featuring a strong female lead and strong supporting female leads. This film is exactly what Disney needed to add this month. 

Elizabeth Olsen (Scarlet Witch in Wandavision)

To wrap it up, I thought I’d also feature another great Disney and Marvel addition to your quarantine binge as Wandavision, one of Disney’s many planned mini series’ featuring Avengers characters comes to a close. Elizabeth Olsen known as Wanda Maximoff or the Scarlet Witch in the Marvel universe is amazing in her portrayal of the bada** superhero the Scarlet Witch in this fun series featuring her characters relationship with the Avenger, Vision. This show also features a few other strong female leads who are definitely more than they seem at first glance. But don’t worry, no spoilers from me. Definitely a must watch. 

International Women’s Day is so important in bringing awareness to women’s achievements in every field of work as women have been undercut throughout history. By highlighting the women who are making waves in various industries and highlighting the women in our lives that bring us joy and lead us to success is important to helping women get the recognition they deserve and acknoledging the power women have always had. 

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.