BHM Herojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BHM Herojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Design by Gabi Maynard

Women To Celebrate This Back History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

February is a month to commemorate Black life and although textbook knowledge is great, what better way to celebrate Black History Month than to acknowledge the amazing Black women of American pop culture. In no particular order, here’s a list of inspirational women to celebrate this Black History Month: 

Lauryn Hill 

22 years after the release of her debut album, Lauryn Hill continues to make history. Her classic album, ‘The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill’ has officially been certified diamond, making her the first female MC to reach such status. Having sold over 10 million units, she now shares this increasingly rare milestone with artists such as Adele, Eminem, Britney Spears, and 2Pac. 

Issa Rae

Insecure HBO Trailer
HBO

Actress, writer, producer, Issa Rae, rose to fame for the Youtube web series she developed in 2011. “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl” earned her a Shorty Award for Best Web Series in 2012. She has since gone on to star in films, such as “The Hate U Give”, “The Lovebirds”, and “Coastal Elites”. Rae has even received multiple Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for her work in the hit HBO show Insecure. Check out her new interview with fellow icon Tracee Ellis Ross! (Issa Rae Interviewed by Tracee Ellis Ross for PAPER)  

Angela Davis

World-renowned activist and educator, Angela Davis is best known for her contributions to the abolition movement. She’s been an active voice in the fight for black liberation since the 1970s and has written several books on race, class, and gender. Davis is now a distinguished Professor Emerita at the University of California, Santa Cruz, where she continues as an advocate for intersectional feminism. Did I mention she’s a UCSD alumna? 

Marsha P. Johnson

Photo by Clem Onojeghuo on Unsplash

Drag queen Marsha P. Johnson, also known as Malcolm Michaels Jr., was a prominent figure in New York City’s gay subculture. After being denied entry into a bar that had only previously allowed gay men, Johnson and others organized what became the Stonewall Riots. This week-long demonstration, which caused conflict between police and local gay activists, kicked off the gay liberation movement. In fact, Pride Month is a celebration of Stonewall’s anniversary. Before her untimely death, she continued her activism in AIDS awareness. Help keep her legacy alive by donating to The Marsha P. Johnson Institute in her honor! (About MPJI – Marsha P. Johnson Institute

Dr. Melina Abdullah 

Black Lives Matter Los Angeles co-founder, Dr. Melina Abdullah is recognized for her outstanding community presence. She was a leading organizer during the social uprising that followed the death of George Floyd and countless other Black Americans. She has also contributed to victories, such as the historic fight that led to the K-12 requirement of Ethnic Studies in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Dr. Abdullah now serves as a professor at California State University, Los Angeles in the department of Pan-African Studies. 

Laylani Cedano is a first year transfer student at the University of California San Diego. She is currently a Communication major and plans to pursue a career as a talent manager in the entertainment industry. During her free time she enjoys roller-skating, thrifting, and hanging out with friends. Some of her interests include music, film, and anything pop culture!
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.