Why ‘Unbreakable’ Is The Catchy, Auto-Tuned Theme Song To Our Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Females are strong as hell!”

Enough said. The catchy, auto-tuned theme song sums up everything you need to really understand the underlying theme that weaves through Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – females are really strong, but even more, they’re unbreakable.

I can’t get enough of this show, and it’s difficult because it’s only 13 episodes long which made me extremely devastated when I came to the end of its pilot season. Available for your viewing pleasure via Netflix, Kimmy Schmidt is the show that every collegiette needs to be binge-watching right now.

Ellie Kemper (whom you probably remember from Bridesmaids for being the innocent, Disney-obsessed gal pal) plays the lead character, Kimmy Schmidt – one of the Indiana Mole Women. Long story short, she and a few other women were kidnapped and held in an underground bunker by an insane preacher for 15 years. One day they are set free and realize that the world didn’t actually end (despite the apocalypse that the crazy reverend told them about) and it’s also not the year 2000 anymore, it’s 2015.

The Mole Women become a news sensation, go to New York to chat with Matt Lauer about their experience, and then much to the group’s surprise, Kimmy decides to stay in the Big Apple. We’re then taken on a hilarious journey with Kimmy through the ups and downs of living in the city, where she gains a roommate, finds a job, and even finds herself a man.

The show has an Enchanted vibe to it – an innocent, young girl finding her way through the rough ends of city life, but magically making it through everything safely as if she’s immune to the pitfalls that arise in someone starting a new life.

The best part about this show isn’t just that the lead is a female character, but that she proves how strong women can be again and again. In every episode Kimmy is challenged with some type of problem, but she always finds a solution. People attempt to push her buttons, but she pushes them right back. She’s put into predicaments that are made to break a person, but she only proves further that she is indeed, unbreakable.

Being unbreakable is the greatest gift of a message that the humorously talented writers of the show, Tina Fey and Robert Carlock could have given to us. They’re not only delivering comedic gold, but they’re exemplifying female strength. They show their audience a female’s capability to be intelligent, witty, strong, compassionate, helpful, loving, brave, important, original, and overall, amazing.

This is the way all female leads should be portrayed; for their ability to be true to themselves and to be unbreakable. Collegiettes – when you begin watching this side-splitting wonder of a show, I hope the theme song gets stuck in your head so you can sing the words out loud all day whilst reminding yourselves, yep – females are strong as hell!

Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.