This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

I have never thought or considered becoming a vegetarian due to how I grew up eating various Middle Eastern meat dishes. This upcoming August, it will be three years since I’ve adopted a vegetarian lifestyle, and let me say I am never going back. I’ve never felt happier, healthier and energized. I wanted to share 3 reasons why I stopped eating meat. If you’re thinking about switching to a meat-less lifestyle, I hope this article will help motivate and guide you. 

And yes, I eat other foods besides salads. 

I love animals

How can I say I love all types of animals but then proceed to eat cows, pigs, and chickens? It doesn’t make sense. Knowing that I was eating something that was once alive made me sick to my stomach. Animals have feelings, and even though they’re not able to verbally communicate, they can still feel pain. 

I watched all the health documentaries, including “Best Speech You Will Ever Hear”

All of these health documentaries like What the Health, Forks Over Knives, Vegucated, and many more gave concrete evidence about why eating meat is bad for your health and for the environment. In the Youtube video titled “Best Speech You Will Ever Hear”, Gary Yourofsky who is an animal rights activist, gave a speech about his reasons why eating animal products is unethical. This video changed my life… and warning it’s graphic; I couldn’t finish it. He shows multiple videos of livestock animals being inhumanely slaughtered, tortured, and abused. It’s absolutely heartbreaking. Yourofsky also mentioned the one thing he’ll never forget was hearing the screaming cry of a mother cow who had her baby taken away. These animals are literally forced to suffer pain simply for profit. 

It’s a healthy lifestyle

Crudites
Christin Urso / Spoon

Becoming vegetarian has cut out unhealthy foods from my diet. I eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. According to Dr. Deepak Bhatt, a Harvard Medical School professor and Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Heart Letter, states that “When it comes to getting protein in your diet, meat isn’t the only option. Mounting evidence shows that reducing meat and increasing plant-based protein is a healthier way to go. A diet with any type of meat raises the risk of heart disease and cancer.” You may be wondering, how do you get protein? Well, from many sources like lentils, tofu, beans, green peas, quinoa, and more. 

People ask me if I ever miss eating meat, and to be honest I really do not. If I do crave a burger, there are plant-based meats like for example beyond burger that satisfies my meat cravings. You would be surprised how similar it tastes. 

Being vegetarian is simple, easy, and effective. I believe it’s better to start slowly and make progress instead of not starting at all. 

First generation Assyrian woman who is a California native. After living in NorCal all her life, she currently resides in SoCal attending UC San Diego as a Communications major in pursuit of a Bachelors Degree. Her goal is to eventually receive a Masters Degree in Broadcast Journalism and land her dream job as a News Anchor. Her interests include fitness, makeup, music, social media and video production. Follow Mary on instagram (@marymikaili).
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.