This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

The fact that you are reading this article during midterms season, collegiette, confirms that you’re one of us. Yup, you’re a procrastinator. Rather than studying, you’re here on HC, reading this article. It’s ok, we understand, and you’re not alone! Everyone handles the stress of exams differently; the pressure not to fail is major. Usually, the first step in solving any kind of problem is figuring out the nature of the problem. In this case, you need to figure out which kind of procrastinator you are, and we’re here to help! There’s more than one type of procrastinator, you ask? Oh yes, there are six. Here we go!

1. The Panicker

If you have just realized that midterms are upon us, you haven’t gone to class in two weeks, and you have no idea what’s on the test, this might be you. You’re possibly running around your dorm with your hands in the air shouting, “Omg. Omg. OMG!” If this is happening, put your arms down and take a very deep breath. It’s ok. There is still a chance to save yourself. What you need to do is find a study group, and fast. Hopefully, you have made friends in class. If not, let’s be honest, it’s time to stalk someone! Find anyone from the course, beg them to study and brief you on what you’ve missed the last few weeks, and offer something in return for their help, of course. Whether it is taking them to lunch while you work or bringing lots of coffee, you owe them big time.

2. The Cleaner

Maybe your approach to preparing for midterms is to have an especially clean environment to study in. I mean, if your laundry isn’t completely done and hung, you just can’t think. Then, after completing the laundry, you need to reorganize your desk because it’s way too cluttered to study. After you clean it, though, you decide it would be better to just work in the living room, where the light is better. Unfortunately, the table is smeary and the windows need to be cleaned, too. Stop. Stop it now. Put the Windex down. No matter how much you clean up, it is not going to satisfy you. Mopping the floor and reorganizing your bookshelf is not going to help you remember the formulas you should be memorizing before your calculus midterm. What you need to do is pick one spot, as distraction free as possible, force yourself to avoid the cleaning impulse, and study!

3. The Napper

We know how awful studying can be. Memorizing formulas, facts, and book titles from three or more classes on top of your extracurricular and social responsibilties?  Ugh. That is exhausting. You’re already tired from working hard since the beginning of the quarter, and now you’re going to have to pull all-nighters to cram for these tests. So you think that the best thing you can do is to take a little nap before the madness begins. Wrong! Don’t do it. I promise you, it is only going to make things worse. Essentially, you need to imagine that you’re running a marathon and you’re about fifty feet from the finish line. Don’t sit down for a little break! You’re so close! You’ve got to tough it up and keep going. No matter how heavy your eyelids get the answer is not a nap, its coffee. Coffee, energy drinks, whatever it takes. This is college ladies, suck it up and keep pushing. You can do this!

4. The Sidetracker

Well, my physics exam is tomorrow, but I just had the best idea for my short story that is due at the end of the week. So, I’ll work on my story first. I hate to tell you this, but by the time you add that awesome idea you will only have a few hours left to figure out what forces are holding the universe together for that exam tomorrow. Midterms are all about priorities and making the most efficient use of your time. While you shower, you should be reciting the periodic table and when you go for coffee, you should be thinking about how velocity works. You need to divide your time wisely. Start by organizing which midterms are when and what you need to do to prepare for each course. No matter how much you avoid studying for that class you hate, you will have to take that test eventually. You might as well do your best!

5. The List Maker

I totally think that making a list and checking the items off as you go is a great way to structure what you need to do during busy times. Unfortunately, some of us take this to an extreme. You might make a list for midterms, but then you also make a list of what to take home for the weekend, and next you start listing what you’re going to do later that night. Great start, but you got a little lost there! Keep it simple. Make that midterms list, but then proceed to actually accomplishing the first thing on there. You’ve got to get past step one. As soon as you do the rest will be fine. 

6. The Social Sharer

During midterms, does social media suddenly become the most interesting thing in your life? You might feel the need to share all of your stresses with everyone on Facebook, or maybe you are sending all your friends Snapchats of yourself making sad faces at the library. Perhaps you’re posting throwback Instagram pics of you last summer with a caption counting down how much longer until you’re back to relaxing. If this sounds familiar, then you are a social sharer. I know it will be hard, but it’s time to cut the cord. Close your Facebook tab, turn off your WiFi, or deactivate for the week if you have to. I promise you that your social universe will be waiting for you when you return!

Ladies, let’s focus, and dominate the tests we have ahead! We got this!