Concert Ticket Confirmations
Concert Ticket Confirmations
Shannon Kang

What to Expect When Buying Concert Ticket for Up and Coming K-pop Bands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Going to concerts is an experience that no one can recreate. From finding the cutest outfit to the post-concert depression at the end, every concert is different, but you come out happier than ever, every time. However, before you can figure out that star outfit to get your bias’s attention, there is something you need to do: go through with buying tickets.

Buying concert tickets is an event itself and depending on the artist you want to see, your experience will differ. With the rise of k-pop, ticketing has become harder and stingier. Most of the time when purchasing concert tickets, it is through a site called Ticketmaster. When using this site there are different ways to make sure to get tickets. Before joining the actual queue to buy tickets, there is an option to enter a waitlist (a better chance to get in first when the ticketing time starts). Then after the waitlist, you enter the queue, and from there you wait till it is your turn to purchase. This is only the beginning. 

I have personally bought tickets for three separate k-pop concerts in the last month or so. I have gone through this process with MONSTA X, BTS, and NCT 127. (There are many more, however, I cannot talk about all of them here).

MONSTA X is a six-member group (formerly seven), that debuted back in 2015 under Starship Entertainment, and since then have become rising global stars, with their raw, sexy, charisma concepts. They have been soaring on the American music charts, collaborated with artists such as French Montana and Sia, and have just finished promotion of their first all English album called All About Luv. Since their rise in fame, trying to get tickets to one of their concerts has become more difficult. I bought tickets to their We Are Here World Tour last year and I was able to score great seats, VERY close to the extended stage. However, this time around, things were different. The demand for them was a lot larger than anticipated. There was no presale, so all the tickets were up for grabs at one time. My sister and I were aiming for the ultimate VIP package (many k-pop groups have different packages which include different events fans could attend to on the day). When going into the queue I was confident in getting the tickets that we wanted, but over an hour later I found myself in disappointment. I could not get the tickets that my sister and I wanted. I had to settle for seats that were farther from the stage and no package (cheaper but sadder). Going through this process, I realized how big MONSTA X had gotten in a span of just a year. 

BTS is a seven-member group that debuted back in 2013 under Big Hit Entertainment, and in the last seven years they have made k-pop history. They are a global sensation that has stolen the hearts of MANY. With their initial start of fame coming from their first Love Yourself album, they have just increased in popularity with music that speaks to mental health and real-life situations. I have been a fan of BTS since before their debut, so in 2012, I was a thirteen-year-old girl that fell in love with these boys. I have experienced every stage of their career and was able to see their growth. Unfortunately, I was never able to go to one of their concerts in the states, but last year my sister and I made a pact to go to their concert next time they come. We did not realize it would be so soon. Because of their immense popularity, I knew their tickets would not only be EXPENSIVE but VERY DIFFICULT to get. When talking to my sister, we concluded to get tickets that were not only cheaper but farther from the stage. 

Concert Ticket Confirmation
Shannon Kang

Photo Cred: Shannon Kang

This time around there were three separate stages for ticket purchasing; there was fan membership presale, general presale, and general sale (all being on three separate days). I experienced some people buying on the fan membership presale day and that was something I have never seen before. To buy packages, it was nearly impossible. Luckily, I got the code for the general presale and had an experience of my own. I already knew going in that I would be looking at the seats that were farther, so once I got in, I went straight to the sections that I knew many people would not initially look in, and after 30 minutes or so I got tickets! And these tickets were a lot better than I thought I would be getting. 

NCT 127 is a ten-member subunit group to NCT, they debuted back in 2016 under SM Entertainment. They are stars in the Korean scene but are becoming rising stars in America. They have released a few all English songs and their intense electric dance sound is catching the hearts of many. With NCT 127, they are now becoming a bigger group, so I was not worried at all when purchasing their tickets. My sister and I knew that we would be getting cheaper tickets because this group is neither of our ultimate groups, but we like them enough to see them live. So, going into the sale I knew what to do. I got the general presale code just in case, when I got into the queue, I did not wait long till I could select seats. Once I got in, I selected the seats, put in my information, purchased them, and got out of there in about ten minutes. I honestly was not expecting it to be that quick, and I was shocked by how easy it was. This was the easiest ticketing experience I have ever had. 

After going through difficult ticketing experiences, I have learned what I am getting myself into. With practice, you will not be so discouraged the next time. One thing people need to remember is how popular the artist you want to see is. Their popularity changes your experience when buying tickets. The more popular they are, the harder it is to get tickets that are VIP packages and close to the stage. All in all, do not be upset with not getting the tickets that you want initially, be happy you are going to experience your favorite artist live instead. Concerts are what you make of them, so take the opportunity to really go all out, whether that be close to the stage or in the last row all the way in the back. No matter what you will have the time of your life. I know I always do!

Born and raised in the Bay Area, Shannon Kang is a California native. She is finished community college back in her hometown and is now enrolled at University of California, San Diego to pursue her Bachelor's Degree in Communications. After undergrad she is planning on furthering her education to pursue an MBA in management and operations. When it comes to tasks and her interests she is determined and persistent, she will not stop till she gets what she wants. Her interests include, music (KPOP stan), food (total foodie), Asian culture, fashion, skin care, and literature.
Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.