This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Big Hit Entertainment is taking the world by a storm with housing Billboard charting, Grammy  nominees, worldwide sensations…BTS 

They also produced a young, hip, and fresh group that is following their seniors’ footsteps…Tomorrow X Together

Now there is a new group coming to town. Actually they have already arrived…ENHYPEN

Earlier this year a new South Korean survival show started to gain headlines all over the world and that was I-LAND. This reality/survival show was organized by BE:LIFT Lab, a joint venture between Big Hit Entertainment and CJ E&M. There were a total of twenty-two trainees competing to be part of the final seven member debut lineup. This show was significantly different from other South Korean reality survival shows because they allowed international fans to vote for their favorite contestants. Due to the numerous fans they already have, this group is projected to be the next worldwide sensations. 

The final debut member lineup is as follows (of rank through global fan vote): 

1. Yang Jungwon (양정원) with 1,417,620 votes

2. Jay (제이) with 1,192,889 votes

3. Jake (제이크) with 1,179,633 votes

4. Niki (니키) with 1,140,728 votes

5. Lee Heeseung (이희승) with 1,137,323 votes

6. Park Sunghoon (박성훈) with 1,088,413 votes

7. Kim Sunoo (김선우) with 935,771 votes (placed 8th overall, he was the producers’ pick)

Their increase in popularity and their seniors being worldwide sensations, there might be some pressure for them. Honestly, who would not feel pressured trying to fill in such large shoes, not just in the K-Pop scene, but the general music scene? BUT, that thinking needs to be changed. Big Hit is not planning on making the next BTS with any of their junior groups, they are making a group that will hopefully reach their maximum potential, whatever that may be. Fans need to realize this and not be so set on them being like their seniors. 

I have personally followed this show since the teasers came out. Diligently watched the show every week, my heart and brain were going crazy because of the intensity. I was not expecting the show to be the way it was and it was actually refreshing to see. There are SO MANY survival shows in South Korea and they pretty much all have the same format. But, I-LAND was a rollercoaster of tests, performances, emotions, etc.     ***My #1 pick was Park Sunghoon (박성훈) with Jay (제이) at a close second…hehe…what about you?***

There are many people anticipating their debut. There are articles already talking about them and that normally does NOT happen to groups that have not debuted yet. Luckily, we will not have to wait much longer for them BECAUSE….they are set to debut November 30, 2020!!! I personally cannot wait to see how they debut, what their music video will look like, what sound they are going to have, and ALL OF THE ABOVE! 

I am going to be on the edge of my seat waiting for their debut…will you?!

Born and raised in the Bay Area, Shannon Kang is a California native. She is finished community college back in her hometown and is now enrolled at University of California, San Diego to pursue her Bachelor's Degree in Communications. After undergrad she is planning on furthering her education to pursue an MBA in management and operations. When it comes to tasks and her interests she is determined and persistent, she will not stop till she gets what she wants. Her interests include, music (KPOP stan), food (total foodie), Asian culture, fashion, skin care, and literature.
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.