Fruity Drinks
Fruity Drinks
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Top 5 Alcoholic Drinks for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Summer is right around the corner, and what better way to celebrate three months of warm weather with an alcoholic beverage in hand. As a newly 21 year old, my summer plans may be canceled due to COVID-19, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have some fun at my house! It’s always happy hour in quarantine. 

Here are my top 5 alcoholic drinks for the summer! All of the drinks are attached with the link for the recipes for you to try if you’re 21 and over of course. 

*Disclaimer: Please drink responsibly*

Frozen Watermelon Margarita

A classic margarita is my go-to drink when I am at the bar, or even at home. Sometimes I like to mix it up a little by making a frozen margarita, especially on a hot day and watermelon is the best fruit to eat in the summer… so why not make it into a drink? All you need is ice, chopped watermelon, lime juice, silver tequila, triple sec, and blend it all together.

“Watermelon sugaaaa” @ Harry Styles 

Michelada

If you like beer, this is a perfect drink to try and it’s very easy to make! All you need is light Mexican beer either Modelo, Pacifico or anything you prefer, Clamato juice, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and hot sauce. I also like to add tajin on the rim. 

Moscow Mule

The copper mugs are a must when making this drink. It’s refreshing, fun, and very tasty. The ingredients include: ice, vodka, lime juice, ginger beer, and lime wedge for garnish. 

Mojito

As queen Shakira once said, “Un mojito, dos mojitos.” Honestly, you might end up drinking more with this easy, delicious summer drink. The recipe calls for ice, mint leaves, white sugar, lime, white rum, and club soda. 

Tequila Sunrise Mimosa

Mimosas are a must when out for Brunch, but why not spice it up by adding some tequila! This recipe is perfect to make and all you need is some orange juice, tequila, champagne to make it bubbly, grenadine for the “sunrise”, and lime. 

Summer is the perfect time to relax and enjoy some sunshine. Be sure to check out these recipes and let me know what you think! Cheers to a fun and safe summer! 

First generation Assyrian woman who is a California native. After living in NorCal all her life, she currently resides in SoCal attending UC San Diego as a Communications major in pursuit of a Bachelors Degree. Her goal is to eventually receive a Masters Degree in Broadcast Journalism and land her dream job as a News Anchor. Her interests include fitness, makeup, music, social media and video production. Follow Mary on instagram (@marymikaili).
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.