This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

If you’re an avid reader, you’re well aware that each year a plethora of new books are published, most of which will never cross your eyes. Here, I’ve listed three definite must-reads that will have you wondering why you never came across them before. 

1. The Rain God – Authored by Arturo Islas, The Rain God tells the story of a Mexican-American family living near the southern border as they individually deal with a multitude of topics ranging from sexuality to death. Beautifully written in prose, its simplicity makes its oftentimes heart-wrenching story unforgettable. The Rain God not only offers a look into the Mexican-American experience but into the intimacies of family life as well. 
  2. Kindred – Acclaimed author Octavia E. Butler offers a unique look into science fiction with her 1979 novel Kindred. Telling the story of a young African American woman transported back through time to a  pre-Civil War American south, we are presented with a unique take on struggles of identity, familial history, and race. Kindred is a must-read for any science fiction fan looking for something different from what can usually be found in the genre. 
  3. Please Ignore Vera DietzPlease Ignore Vera Dietz, written by A.S King, tells the story of Vera as she deals with the mysterious death of her best friend Charlie Kahn and the events that led up to it. At times full of humor and other times heartbreaking, this young adult novel is sure to make you wonder about the meaning of friendship. 
Maria is majoring in English Literature at UC San Diego. She loved reading, writing, and sewing. She hopes to one day become a published author in the YA genre.