This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

During the United States’ strict lockdowns in March of 2020, people had time to reflect on their character and develop new hobbies. Many decided to start a new workout routine, make sourdough bread, make fluffy coffee, participate in TikTok trends, and most importantly, go on journeys of self-discovery. Many people chose to practice a new religion or get familiar with spirituality. As a spiritual person who practices sacred rituals that my ancestors utilized, I think it’s great that more people are starting to discover the beauty behind spirituality. Still, I do notice there are moments when people abuse it. To me and many others who have grown up with the image of the evil eye, the use of crystals, and other divination, it’s disrespectful to use spirituality as a trend—especially when people ridicule the cultures that have used these practices for many generations. You may be thinking, “What exactly are the boundaries when it comes to spirituality then?”

The Evil Eye, Mal De Ojo, Naazar…

You may have seen the sudden spike in the image of the big blue and white singular eye. It seems to make many a little uncomfortable or weary, which is quite common since it’s not supposed to be cute or comforting. Its primary purpose is to protect the user from envy and repel negative energies. I come from Indigenous Mexican ancestors who utilized the evil eye often. However, the Greek, Roman, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, and other Indigenous peoples have been fond of the evil eye for many generations. It’s a part of many cultures and their religious practices. In my opinion, I find it odd to make something sacred that’s part of many cultures a “trend.” I do not buy evil eye things from shops that aren’t owned by cultural people that use the evil eye. It was hard for me to see the girls who would look at my Mexican evil eye bracelet weird when I was younger and then see them with an evil eye necklace now because it’s “in.” I should clarify that I am not trying to gatekeep, but I think it’s a symbol that should be respected, not trendy. If you do decide to use the evil eye because of its properties and not out of trend, please remember to respect the cultures who created the evil eye and know that the evil eye will not work for you if you are the one who envies others and spreads hate.

Crystals…

I think crystals are quite literally the coolest thing ever! They are so mesmerizing and unique. I will admit that my collection is vast and continues to grow. There’s talk of utilizing crystals for their spiritual properties throughout the Bible, Ancient Greece, Ancient Mesopotamia, and Indigenous tribes. However, they weren’t seen as “sacred.” Instead, crystals, stones, and gems are treats from Mother Earth that everyone should enjoy! Each crystal has different healing properties and correlates to your chakras in spirituality. For example, purple Amethyst is excellent for anxiety and the purple crown chakra. They also make great staple pieces for decorative purposes. 

Tarot and Oracle Cards…

Tarot cards were invented in 11th century China and Korea and were commonly used in Medieval Italy around the 1400s. They’re a 78 card deck with different images of people relating to wands, swords, cups, and pentacles. Each card has its own meaning and the opposite meaning if it’s reversed. People usually use them when they need advice or guidance from their higher-self, God, Deity, or their desired religious figure. Tarot is extraordinary for everyone since there are no rules you have to follow. You have the choice of picking who you want to assist you throughout your reading; whether it be Jesus, Buddha, Aphrodite, or yourself, the possibilities are endless. I will say they are difficult for the average person to use because if you do want to stick to the cards’ meanings, they can be a bit complicated to memorize. For example, a hermit card is a person dressed in all black. The card upright means you’re on the path to self-discovery, but reversed is the message that you’re isolating yourself or prone to depression. For beginners, it would probably be easier to start with oracle cards. Oracle cards are usually decorated with nature, angels, the moon, or other neat things. They contain straightforward messages that you need to hear at the moment or that regard any questions you may ask. 

Herbs…

Many people have suddenly started resorting to white sage, sweetgrass, or palo santo to “clear negative energy.” While these people may not have an ill intention when using these products, burning white sage, sweetgrass, and palo santo is a closed practice and should not be utilized by non-native people. It is considered sacred medicine to Indigenous peoples. Furthermore, it is deemed to be cultural appropriation since white settlers claimed white sage and palo santo and did not allow the indigenous to practice their rituals. While this may be a bummer to some people, burning these herbs that are considered “closed” will have opposite effects on the non-native people that use them. However, I do have good news: there are plenty of alternatives. Burning rosemary, cypress, mistletoe, lavender, and incense sticks are acceptable and work just as well!

Ultimately, the main rules of spirituality are finding what fits you, having fun, and being respectful!

Bri is a psychology with a specialization in human health major and a first-year student at UC San Diego. She enjoys writing about wellness, spirituality, advice, and life experiences.