This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

I spent the past five months studying abroad in Bordeaux, France. In this article, I hope to provide advice and encouragement to those considering studying abroad. 

1. Get all your documentation sorted out early. If you require a student visa or need to get/renew your passport, apply as soon as possible to avoid the hassle.

2. Take a lighter course load than you might normally. Although you will get the opportunity to take some interesting and unique classes, try not to overload yourself because the most valuable lessons you will learn will come from traveling and immersing yourself in the culture of the place you are staying.

3. Invest in a backpack or suitcase that can carry enough things for a few days but also fits the size requirements of Ryanair and Easyjet. If you are planning on traveling, these airlines will offer you cheap flights but, to avoid additional fees, your carryon must fit their requirements.

4. Keep the weather in mind when choosing where and when to travel. Especially if you choose to study abroad fall quarter, the weather will change drastically while you are there. If you wish to visit coastal locations, plan on going early on while the weather is still warm and consider saving the larger cities for when it is colder and less crowded.

5. Pack lightly. You will want to save plenty of room for clothes, gifts, and memorabilia to bring home with you. 

6. Don’t be afraid to go alone. This is a great opportunity to grow as a person and become more independent.

7. Stay in hostels! They are a great way to save money but make sure to choose wisely to ensure that they are safe and sanitary.

8. Make friends outside of your program. Becoming friends with the people who live there is a great way to learn the language and about their culture.

9. Consider getting a credit or debit card that doesn’t have foreign transaction fees.

10. KEEP A JOURNAL AND BRING A CAMERA. 

Kalohe is a third year Literature and Writing major with a minor in Communications at UCSD. She is a surfer from Laguna Beach, CA with a passion for books, sustainable fashion, and music.