Spring 2015 Trends Spotted on the Runway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Due to La Jolla’s beautiful 65 degree weather, UCSD collegiettes are storing away coats and are wearing cardigans again. As if the fashion gods knew that we were in dire need of new apparel to match the new climate, designers have blessed us with a variety of ready-to-wear Spring runway collections. We anxiously await February and March for Fashion Week, but until then, we have the inside scoop on the trendiest ready-to-wear outfits of 2015. 

Bottega Venetta: The first look was my favorite look from the entire Spring Ready-to-Wear collection of Bottega Venetta. Fitted trousers, feminine outerwear, and neutral colors scream classy. I love how Veronika Munk’s hair is messily tied, as if to contradict the sophistication of the outfit itself. (Bonus: Undone, messy hair is a trend that we will be seeing a lot of in 2015!) Mid length skirts and dresses are also going to be seen a lot this year. Both of these looks ensure feminity with class!

Lanvin: I think every girl dreams of the day she can walk into Lanvin and buy herself an outfit. Sigh, a girl can dream right? One trend I noticed from Lanvin’s spring collection was deep, plunging neck lines. I saw a lot of plunging blazers, jumpsuits, and dresses in monochrome hues. Zoe Huxford, shown above, is wearing a white plunging vest with a white skirt and gold accessories. I am obsessed with how large of a statement this outfit makes, while being so beautifully simple.

Saint Laurent: Saint Laurent is one of my favorite brands, especially since the fashion director changed and the “Yves” got dropped. Some ongoing patterns that I noticed in the collection are headwear (structured top hats or head scarves),  platform sandals, and thick, drooping, yet cat-eyed eyeliner. I know, I know, I should talk more about the outfit itself, but the accessories and make up are what caught my eyes and make this collection stand out. The structure of the outfits create an aura of mystery, while the sparkly accessories create an inviting vibe. I am obsessed with Natalie Westling’s head scarf and will definitely attempt to incorporate this trend into my closet.

Chanel: Chanel did not play it safe this quarter; instead, they went bold and I am so glad they did! I am totally in love with the smokey eye and metallic prints on Liu Wen (aka my favorite model ever, tied with Joan Smalls), and the retro, crazy-colorful look on Nadja Bender. Chanel bends all fashion rules by mixing silvers with golds and by splashing red and blue eyeshadow, yet these looks are sure to be timeless ones. These looks should appeal to all the fashionistas who like to be ahead of trends! Go all out and sport these funky trends and you are sure to get double-takes.

Valentino: Embroidery, crazy prints, and gladiator sandals are cooking up at Valentino. I chose two wearable, and totally gorgeous outfits from the Valentino collection. Details are emphasized in this collection, so although the structure of the outfits may have been seen, like scalloped edges and cut out figures, the thread work make the looks stand out. I love the color schemes that Yana Van Ginneken is wearing, along with the knee high sandals both models are sporting.

Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.