Saving California’s Drought – One Product At A Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

As we all know, California is suffering a massive water shortage, but that doesn’t mean you need to compromise your entire beauty routine. Here are a few ideas on how to maintain those luscious locks and keep up your skin regimen without having to wipe out California’s water supply.

Wash your hair every other day.

By doing this, not only are you saving precious water droplets, but you can also cut your shower time in half and have happier hair by not stripping natural oils that your scalp needs. Additionally, by not having to replace that expensive bottle of shampoo every so often, more money stays in your pocket. Instead, try using dry shampoo (like Batiste Dry Shampoo-$7.99 or Not Your Mother’s Dry Shampoo $5.99) on the days you don’t wash your hair to soak up any excess oil.

Invest in Face Wipes and Toner.

Try using a facial wipe (like Neutrogena’s Grapefruit Wipes-$7.99) to get off any makeup and dirt before actually cleansing your face. This prevents you from wasting time and water to get off all that foundation. Some wipes even contain acne fighting, brightening, exfoliating or hydrating agents, so not only are you shortening the washing process, but your skin is getting a lot of healthy benefits too! New trends in micellar water and toners (like Simple Micellar Water-$7.99 or Formula 10.0.6 So Totally Clean Toner-$6.99) can also help cut down the cleansing time and have amazing benefits like reducing pore size and redness.

Try Using Cleansing Body Wipes If a Shower Isn’t Absolutely Necessary.

Companies like The Body Shop and Yes To are now extending their cleansing lines to include body wipes that clean and refresh your skin without wasting gallons of water. So on those days where you think a shower isn’t a definite essential, try using one of these wipes to do a quick clean before heading out of the house. (Side note-please actually take showers on a relatively regular basis, those around you will be incredibly grateful)

Don’t Use a Waterproof Mascara

We all know how annoying it is to have your mascara smudge off half way through class, and most often times than not, the solution is found in waterproof mascara. But then there’s the vicious scrubbing needed to clean off that mascara. However, there is another alternative-instead of using waterproof mascara, try finding smudge-proof mascara (like Benefit’s They’re Real! Mascara) that won’t be a pain to take off, and will stay on way past noon.

Don’t Keep the Water Running When Brushing Your Teeth or Shaving.

This seems like a no brainer, but these simple exercises can save up to 2,880 gallons of water each year! Do you really need that faucet running while you stand there brushing your teeth? I didn’t think so.

Take One Day to Be A Vegetarian.

That’s right – by eating more vegetables and cutting out meat for at least one or two days out of the week, you can save up to 171,704 gallons of water a year! By taking in this small dietary change, not only are you fueling your body with complex carbohydrates and protein, but your skin will desperately thank you as well!

Hopefully these small tips can help you rethink California’s drought without having to reinvent your daily routine! By incorporating these small changes, a huge difference can most definitely be made.

Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.