This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

As an undergraduate pre-health student, there are many things that must be considered. For example, students must think about maintaining their GPA, prerequisite courses, research (if interested), healthcare experience, applications, etc. 

As the pandemic began, there was much uncertainty. How will students take their lab courses? How will students begin, or continue the research that they are participating in? How can students shadow doctors, or even volunteer/intern at hospitals? How can students thrive when their social time with others is depleted? Although there was much uncertainty, one thing became extremely clear. Our generation is resilient. Our generation works through adversity, and rediscovered new ways to make the impossible possible. 

New groups and organizations came together to create free programs where students can virtually shadow Doctors, and other Health Care professionals. In reality, virtual shadowing has opened the doors to incredible students with the passion for health care, but not the access to such opportunities. I argue that this may have leveled the playing field, and creating an inclusive environment where all students can benefit and learn from healthcare professionals. 

Students who felt the need to volunteer and give back, looked to online services that would allow them to help others. Organizations such as the crisis text line, 7 Cups, American Red Cross and many more, made it possible for students to give back! Further, students continue to stay connected with their peers, by involving themselves in clubs/organizations where students meet online to attend meetings.

Ariyana Kermanizadeh is a Northern California native, and is currently pursuing her undergraduate career at UC San Diego. At UCSD, she studies Psychology with an emphasis in Human Health as well as Biology. Ariyana hopes to attend Medical School in the near future, to chase her dream of becoming a Physician. As an aspiring Physician she hopes her future will consist of assisting underserved communities and fighting for health care rights. Follow Ari on Instagram (Ariyana_k).
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.