The Only New Year’s Resolution You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

New Year’s resolutions in college often include eating healthier, going to the gym more, staying organized, and doing all of your readings on time. For the first few weeks of the new year, you stay motivated and hold yourself accountable for keeping these goals. But as the weeks quickly pass by, and Winter Quarter really takes its toll, these goals fade away, at least that’s what I’ve experienced – especially doing all of my readings on time! But what all of these resolutions have in common is loving yourself, holding yourself to higher standard, and maintaining your mental and physical health. So, instead of having many hard resolutions to maintain, my sole goal will be to love and respect myself to keep myself mentally healthy while experiencing the stresses of college, and I encourage you to have the same goal.

If you’re too stressed from the assignments piling up on you, maybe go to RIMAC to exercise away the stress. If you’re feeling like comforting yourself with ice cream, then so be it. There’s no point in having poor body image or comparing yourself to others, because that’s not loving yourself. If you need to take a study break and watch an episode of Grey’s Anatomy, then do it. There’s no point in stressing yourself, because that’s not loving yourself either. As the saying goes, “New Year, new you,” so let 2016 be the year that you focus on being the best you by loving yourself.

Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach.