This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

With April starting, I want to share about the books I read in March. I managed to read two books: Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

I started the month reading Firefly Lane. This book was impossible to put down and I found myself looking forward to reading it at the end of my days and even spent hours finishing the book late one night. Firefly Lane is a story about a friendship between two women– Tully and Kate. The book follows the pair throughout their life. I loved the characters and was invested in their life as if they were my own friends. In the last forty pages of the book, I went back and forth between sobbing and tearing up. Books with powerful storylines that get me to cry are often some of my favorite novels. I hope that you will read Firefly Lane and will experience the realistic portrayal of friendship.

The second book that I read was The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. In this novel, a Hollywood star tells her life story to a journalist. I enjoyed the unique structure of this book which was a frame story that switched between the present moment of the interview and the journalist’s life with the past life of Evelyn Hugo. Each section of the book was labeled with one of the seven husbands and detailed the actress’s life from start to finish with each marriage. The book is filled with twists and turns that make you want to read more. I enjoyed trying to predict the outcome of the present storyline as well as the past experiences of Evelyn Hugo. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for an easier read and enjoy historical fiction placed in the 1960s. 

I enjoyed reading these two novels and I think you will too. Happy reading!

Anna Claire is a third year at UCSD, majoring in Political Science with an emphasis in American Politics. She loves to read, write, go on hikes and is passionate about social justice. After undergrad, she plans on attending law school. Her favorite places to be are the beach or in the desert surrounded by Joshua Trees and a starry sky.