This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

*Disclaimer, a little rant ahead* 

2020, the year that broke me, changed me, and made me realize who I am.

You know that cliche phrase never take anything for granted? We’ve all heard it many, many times. But it never really hit me until being in a global pandemic. 

Before COVID-19, my life was completely different which I took for granted. A year ago, I transferred to UC San Diego after spending two years at my local Community College. I was living ten minutes away from the beach, making memories with news friends, shopping, filming videos for various school projects, studying at Geisel Library, and simply feeling like my life was on track. 

All of a sudden, within a blink of an eye, the entire world came to a halt — and everyone had to quickly adjust to a new normal by staying at home. This meant I had to pack all of my things in a short amount of time and drive eight hours to move back to Northern California, not knowing when I will be back. Eight months later, I still do not know when I will be able to go back. 

2020 was supposed to be MY year. It was supposed to be the year where I can finally have the “college life experience ” everyone praises about. It was supposed to be the year where I can focus on myself and my future career. Unfortunately, that took a very sharp turn in the opposite direction.

For the longest time, I have tried so hard to find the positives. Maybe it was time to move back home for awhile and be with my family during this time, especially during quarantine. But how can someone even try to be positive when people are dying from this horrible virus, while simultaneously fighting for civil rights, female reproductive rights, the stress of election season and studying from home all at the same time. It’s exhausting and mentally draining.

There are so many unknowns at the moment and I wish things were different but for now all we can really do is wait. For the time being, please make sure you are all taking care of yourselves. I know this is a very difficult time but I truly hope things will get better and when they do please never take it for granted.

First generation Assyrian woman who is a California native. After living in NorCal all her life, she currently resides in SoCal attending UC San Diego as a Communications major in pursuit of a Bachelors Degree. Her goal is to eventually receive a Masters Degree in Broadcast Journalism and land her dream job as a News Anchor. Her interests include fitness, makeup, music, social media and video production. Follow Mary on instagram (@marymikaili).
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.