This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Mexico is rich in culture, cusine, art, dance, music and the list goes on. I might be a little biased because I am Mexican myself, however you cannot deny that Mexico is beautiful. I have travelled to many states around Mexico since I was 14 years old. Traveling around Mexico has given me the opportunity to appreciate Mexico and all its glory. Now, I want to share with you what my favorite states and what they have to offer, with you. 

Mexico City

Mexico city is the heart of Mexico (and capitol), holding the most important politcal, financial, cultural and educational centers in the country. Aside from being one of the biggest cities in the world, Mexico has a wide variety of attractions to visit. One of my favorite spots to go to is, Xochimilco, one of the last remains built by the Aztecs. This water canal holds colorful gondola-like boats that float down the canal with mariachi, food, vendors and beautiful scenery to look at. Xochimilco is live, festive and fun! Another favorite is the the Museo Soumaya. A museum built by one of the richest people on earth, Carlos Slim. This beautiful muesum’s architechture is very modern and eye captivating. The muesum is filled with art from centuries ago, it also hold one of the few replicas of the gates of hell by Auguste Rodin.

Puebla 

Puebla is an underrated state in Mexico but should be kept of your radar! Puebla is a small state about 2 hours away from Mexico city, and also the reason the holiday Cinco de Mayo exists. My favorite place to visit in Puebla is Cholula! You must go here if you visit puebla because it is full of delicous food and culture. Cholula is filled with colorful buildings and cultural art. In Cholula, there is a the Great Pyramid, with the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios sanctuary on the top of a hill. To reach the Iglesia (church), you have to walk up a hill but once you reach it, you will see it has a breathtaking 360 view of Puebla. Aside from the cultural, Cholula has great places to eat, go out and shop. I love Cholula!

Veracruz

My family is from Veracruz, a beautiful state located on the Gulf of Mexico. Veracruz is filled with happy people, dressed in loose clothing, dancing, eating and probably dying of heat. If you come visit Veracruz, be prepared to sweat! If you are a seafood lover, you will love Veracruz because they have the best variety of seafood! Aside from the beautiful culture and cusine, you can also find beautiful beaches like, Tuxpan. Another spot I love is the mesoamerican pyramids of Tajin, and also where vanilla is cultivated! 

Chiapas

Chiapas is located in the south of Mexico and is filled with beautiful pueblos where indigenous communites still live and practice their native dialect. My favorite is San Cristóbal de las Casas, where they have preserved architecture, cathedrals and beautiful artisenal things you can buy that are very unique. I personally loved visiting this spot because of the culture and amazing food. Another favorite spot is Sumidero Canyon, a breathtaking river in between canyons that hold endagered species like oceltos, spider monkeys and river crocodiles. You can go on a mini boat tour that will take you around the river with beautiful views of waterfalls and animals. This is a must see!

I have personally gone to all of these and wanted to share my favorite spots that are underrated and more cultural than most places people go and visit in Mexico. Cancun and Cabo are beautiful, but I strongly encourage everyone to visit the cultural side of Mexico as well as other landscapes aside from the beach. Mexico holds a special place in my heart, I have fallen in love with everything this beautiful country has to offer. I hope that if you ever go to Mexico, you visit some of this states and fall in love too.

Enya Nava

UCSD '21

Enya is a 4th year transfer student from the Bay Area, majoring in Communications at UCSD. Aside from being a writer for UCSD Her Campus, she is involved in UCSD's Undergrad Communication's Society and the Social Media Coordinator for Triton Linked-In Group. During her free time, you can catch her hanging out with friends, dancing, working out or catching some sun at the beach!
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.