Meet the Yes Men, Political Filmmakers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Have you heard of the funny and daring Yes Men?

If not, the Yes Men are a duo that creates shocking, satirical, and hilarious movies and short videos about political issues. The men that make up this duo are Jacques Servin and Igor Vamos, who is a Triton alumni! He studied at UCSD as a graduate student, earning a Masters of Fine Arts in Visual Arts. Vamos and Servin got started by creating a satirical fake website spoofing the World Trade Organization, and their success skyrocketed from there. The Yes Men next moved on to starring in their own films and creating films that are not only important, but also hilarious and entertaining. They often use their satirical approach to shed light upon today’s most pressing social and political issues. 

The Yes Men have a wide network of support for their two movies The Yes Men (2003) and The Yes Men Fix the World (2009). In these films, they operate to expose truth while  impersonating governmental characters, interviewing people, and commenting on social issues. Their movies are smart, witty, and controversial in the best way possible.

So, UCSD has not only produced a celebrity of sorts, but also someone who is using his voice and status to attack society’s problems. Servin and Vamos are not wasting their time in the spotlight. Their action can inspire us, as we may be swamped in homework, tests, and essays. Their succcess makes clear that we can make something of ourselves and truly find a voice after graduation, and we will. We are important, and at UCSD we are receiving the tools to do important things. Keep persevering, collegiettes- our futures are bright!