Meet Rachel Axler: Triton Alum Turned Script Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Have any of you collegiettes seen New Girl, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, How I Met Your Mother, or Parks and Recreation? Of course you have, because those shows are awesome! They have loveable characters with witty scripts and interesting plots. Well one of our very own alumni, Rachel Axler, either produced or wrote for each of these shows.

Axler graduated UCSD in 2004 with an MFA in Theater and Dance. She now serves as an American television writer and producer as well as a playwright. After she graduated from UCSD, Axler moved to New York City where she had temp jobs writing on various shows, but her goal was to write for The Daily Show.

She later achieved that goal by becoming the lone female writer on the team and winning two Emmy Awards for her work. In 2008, Axler moved to Los Angeles where she has since written for Parks and Recreation, New Girl, How I Met Your Mother, Bored to Death, and even her off-Broadway play titled Smudge. Currently, Axler is writer and producer of the new fall comedy, Mulaney.

Rachel Axler can serve as a great inspiration to us, collegiettes! She is a woman that is dominating a field usually filled by men. She can show us that we are entirely capable and confident women, and that we can achieve anything that we set our mind to.

You can follow Rachel on twitter: @rachelaxler and instagram: @thingface. 

Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.