Career

Meet One of the Newest Members of the Her Campus Team…Isabella!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

a brief introduction

Isabella Johnson (she/her)

2nd year – Class of 2024

Major: Political Science with a concentration in International Relations

Minor: Entrepreneurship and Innovation

College: Warren

Hometown: San Antonio, Texas

Questions for isabella

What are you most looking forward to about writing for Her Campus UCSD?

I am extremely excited to be a part of a community that is heavily focused on female empowerment! I am looking forward to amplifying the voices of young women on our campus and getting to share my own personal experiences as well. I want to use my platform to advocate for others and I am so grateful for Her Campus to be able to provide us with this opportunity. The future is FEMALE.

What are some of your hobbies?

I love to ADVENTURE. I remind myself every day that the journey IS the destination, so why not make the most out of it? I love hiking and spending time outside. Whether it’s just sunbathing at the beach or in any field of luscious grass, playing spikeball, reading under a tree, or even doing Zoom University outside, I love being connected with nature, especially in the beautiful city that is SAN DIEGO! Volunteering has been a hobby of mine since my pre-school years when I helped organize the Arbor Day festival in my former hometown, Windermere, Florida, and also helped tend to the community garden. In high school, I led several organizations and was an avid volunteer at the San Antonio Food Bank. At UCSD, I volunteer once a week at the Triton Food Pantry.

I love playing sports like golf, basketball, running, swimming, spikeball, and sand volleyball, and participate in many of the workout classes that UCSD has to offer. Photography and videography is also a passion of mine. I use my Instagram and other social media sites as outlets for creativity and expression and post to portray the beautiful world I see through my eyes. I listen to TEDTalks as part of my daily and nightly routine and try to read for at least 30 minutes a day. I also love going to Kobey’s Swap Meet, thrifting and shopping. I believe my style is another outlet of personal expression and I love putting together colorful and creative outfits. I also enjoy practicing meditation and mindfulness, which includes yoga, extensive reading, journaling, and “therapy” sessions with my friends and family expressing emotions and ideas. There is so much left to do in my lifetime! I am looking to join the sailing team at UCSD next quarter, and hope to start climbing at Canyonview. Remember: You are an ARCHITECT and the world is YOUR DESIGN. 

If you could go anywhere, where would you want to travel?

I would like to visit Morocco, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, and Thailand. I am absolutely fascinated by cultures from all over the world, but I chose these countries specifically because of my favorite book, The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo.

What is your greatest achievement so far?

I hope that I have not yet reached my greatest achievement yet. Life has so much more to offer and I am excited for bigger and better things to come. However, so far I would say that my greatest accomplishment up to date is being an oldest sister. I would not be who I am today without my two younger sisters, Alexandra (15) and Ivana Marie (12). They inspire me to be a trailblazer in my family and to set out a path of success for them to be guided with. My sisters are the main root of my passion and focus for female empowerment. As I work to be a role model for them, they serve as role models for me in return. Ironic, right?

What do you hope to do after college?

I hope to pursue a career involved in politics and business and be a voice for change in our world. I’m still deciding whether or not I want to go into law school, but I know that whatever choice I make, it will be for the best. I also hope to start my own international non-profit to help amplify young female voices and ensure proper educational resources for children all over the world. Malala Yousafsai is my inspiration, and I admire what she has accomplished for young girls. My ultimate goal is to be a United States ambassador for the United Nations and work with international leaders to create a more peaceful world.

Hi there! My name is Maddie and I am a first-year student at UCSD in Eleanor Roosevelt College. I am from Santa Cruz, California and I am so excited to be living in La Jolla. I am extremely passionate about social justice and mental health advocacy and I am so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!