Meet Olivia Liang, Style Maven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

The world of fashion blogging has absolutely taken off in recent years. Style bloggers offer the internet and its followers an opportunity to view and draw inspiration from their own personal fashion choices, and blogging has become the modern form of creative expression. Fashion bloggers can seem distant and unrelatable, crowded in a sea of designer bags and luxury pieces very few collegiettes can probably get their hands on. This week’s Campus Celebrity, however, shows us that college girls can definitely hold their own in the worlds of personal style and blogging. Olivia Liang, a third year Communications major, runs her very own fashion blog entitled A Thread for Thought. Olivia aces the fashion game and, amongst managing the responsibilties of an everyday collegiette, creates and shares a personal style and site that is effortlessly cool and totally rockin’.

How would you describe your personal style?

If it looks like I can frolic in a meadow and then go straight to a concert, then I’ll probably be wearing it. Think Little House on the Prairie goes to a Local Natives concert. Also, sexy grandma. Definitely sexy grandma. 

When did your love of fashion really begin?

I actually used to dress really terribly in elementary and at the beginning of middle school. But I think it may have been because my mom dressed me. I started caring about what I wore when I was in 7th grade, and my love of fashion and developing a style really came about when I was a freshman in high school.

What do you think is key to developing a personal style?

Wear what you like and own it!

Can you tell me a little bit about A Thread for Thought and what inspired you to begin blogging?

I had a passion for fashion (rhyming, oh!) and followed a lot of fashion bloggers like Olivia Lopez and Natalie Suarez. I guess I took the initiative to start one so that I could have something tangible to put on my resume when I applied for jobs. It started out as just that—blogging for the purpose of impressing employers. But when I started gaining a following, I started blogging for the readers and for myself, because I truly enjoy it!

What other extracurricular activities are you involved in?

I’m currently a stylist at Free People. Working there takes up a lot of my free time, but I love it. Come and visit me sometime!

Who is your fashion icon?

There is constant fashion inspiration for me at work. From the catalogs to my coworkers to the decorations in the store—the environment at Free People emulates how I want my style to be.

What advice do you have for other college women?

This question is kind of intense! I guess, in school: don’t procrastinate. In fashion: take risks and let ‘em stare. In life: take it one day at a time.