Meet Erin Epstein: A Collegiette For A Cause

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Meet Erin Epstein – the epitome of a well-rounded college student! From membership in Sigma Kappa to Event Chair for Relay for Life, Erin somehow manages to do it all! One of her biggest passions is her involvement in Relay for Life, which is the largest fundraiser of the American Cancer Society and directly donates to cancer research, support, and advocacy programs. 

The Basics:

Major: Communications

Minors: Education Studies, Digital Film Production

Year: Second

Hometown: Woodland Hills, CA

The Classic Q&A:

1.) What makes you so interested in Relay and how long have you been participating in it?

I have been involved with Relay For Life for 4 years now. I started as just a participant at my community event, and then became a part of the planning committee my senior year of high school. I am so passionate about this event because of the effect it has on people. Relay has become an event that I hold very close to my heart because it is something I share with my family and friends. I have witnessed the hope that it brings to cancer patients and survivors, and I am so proud to be a part of something that can bring so much good.

2.) How can others get involved with Relay?

Anyone can get involved with Relay! The easiest way is to participate in the event by registering on our website: www.relayforlife.org/ucsandiegoca. By registering, you can join an existing team, or start your own. You can also become a part of the committee by stopping by our meetings on Mondays at 4:30 in SSC 300!

3.) What do you do in your role as Event Chair?

As Event Chair, I am involved with each aspect of planning the event. I help lead our weekly meetings, I do lots of advertising (flyering, decorating, social media, etc.), and I help with sponsorships and donations. I also help with recruiting and fundraising.

4.) Wow, it definitely keeps you busy! Sounds like you wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t something you loved, so why do you think Relay is so important to have at our school?

It is an important part of our school because it is an event that has the potential to bring the whole campus together to do good. Because it takes place on campus, it is like a part of the campus. We, as a campus event, are also a part of something so much larger. Relay For Life is the biggest cancer fundraiser there is. It takes place all over the world, and the fact that UCSD can be a part of it is really fantastic.

5.) Thanks for all the insight and positivity, Erin! Now for a fun question: What’s your favorite brunch food?

French Toast! Topped with cinnamon, fruit, and whipped cream is the best! 

Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach. 
Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.