Meet Allyson Osorio: Associated Students VP of External Affairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

As AS VP External, Allyson has the best interests of UCSD’s student body at heart and works tirelessly to make sure all of our voices are represented. She truly embodies the ultimate well-rounded person, friend, and student. Since serving as AS VP External, she has had to learn how to manage her time well. She has not only taken on the large responsibility of serving an entire student body, but also attends her classes like a normal student all while being a wonderfully vibrant and outgoing person. Read on to learn more about Allyson’s role as AS VP External, her advice to new and old students alike, and tips for balancing a busy schedule.

Year: Fourth

College: Thurgood Marshall

Major: Political Science

Q: Not many people may understand how much work being on Associated Students takes. Can you describe your role as AS VP External and what you’ve gained from it?

A: As one of the UCSD Executives, I have gained a tremendous amount from this role; whether it be experience working with education policy or learning how to lead a large staff of over 30 students who also work around issues that affect all UCSD students no matter what major, year, etc. As VP External, I serve as the main local, state, and federal voice of advocacy on behalf of all UCSD students. I work around issues of access, affordability, and quality when it comes to the University of California as a whole. I advocate on behalf of students for a more accessible education, whether that be through fighting tuition hikes or lobbying elected officials for legislation that improves the lives of students at the UC. I sit on two student government boards; one being ASUCSD and the other being the University of California Student Association (the student government of the entire UC). There I make decisions and work on issues on behalf of all UC students. 

Q: What motivates you the most?

A: I am the most motivated by my family and the younger generations who are navigating life in this very interesting world. Young ones motivate me because I know that the endless hours I put into my work won’t always pay off during those long nights and early mornings, but I do know that the work will continue to bring change for that generation. I do the work that I do for the growth of tomorrow – even if that means I won’t benefit from the changes. It’s never about me, it’s about all those that will come after me and all those that have come before me and laid the foundation for me to be here. Being able to imagine a world that is different than the one we currently live in is just another reason for my motivation. I find motivation in many things and in many people. I learn a little bit from everyone I encounter in life. 

Q: How do you balance everything?!

A: Since I think balance is so important, the best way for me to keep balance is by scheduling everything out and prioritizing what I need in order to live a healthy lifestyle. I have learned to give and take. Many times that means I need to take from my personal time to give others my time, but as long as I feel as if I am doing my best to balance everything then I am good. An agenda that tracks everything is key! 

Q: Now for a fun question, just to switch it up. What is your favorite movie and why?

A: Oceans 11 – This has been my favorite movie for years. For some reason I really like the plot, the actors and the acting that occurs during the film. 

Q: Last question! Being a first year myself, and to all the other new collegiettes reading our page, what advice would you give to an incoming freshman in college?

A: I would tell first years to prioritize their involvements now. Sometimes as first year college students, we come in thinking we are invincible and that what we do now won’t impact us later down the line.  That is not true – all our decisions impact us later. Four years go by fast and the quarter system does not make it easier for many students. Even though there are so many great things to get involved with throughout college, things need to be balanced. At the end of the day, we are in college because we are students first and foremost. Balancing a social, academic, healthy, and professional lifestyle is very important. Learning how to say “no” as a first year is essential. Things fall into place when you stay strong and committed to what is most important to you. 

Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach. 
Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.