A Letter To Future Transfer Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

With transfer acceptances being mailed out, and Transfer Triton day happening now on campus, I have stopped to reflect on my experiences this past year at UCSD as a transfer student. Here are some of my experiences and tips to incoming transfer students:

Dear Incoming Transfer Student,

Welcome to UCSD and the best two years of your life. Walking on to campus you are a little scared: Will I make friends? Am I too old to make friends? Am I smart enough to be here? The answer is yes, no, yes.

If you choose to live in the Village, you will automatically be placed with thousands of people who are in the same boat as you. What’s my best advice? Step out of your comfort zone and introduce yourself. My entire floor came and knocked on my door to introduce themselves during welcome week and we all kept our doors open. Now, we are all really good friends. Not living on campus? Join a club! I decided to go through sorority recruitment, and I honestly believe it is one of the best decisions I have made since coming to UCSD. Getting to know your new sisters will take some time, but you will get out of your chapter what you put in to it, and soon you will have 100 plus friendly faces on campus.

Are you too old? Never. Whatever stage of life you are in, you are never too old for the college experience. Some of the welcome week activities are geared towards freshman students, but who cares? Make an appearance and take advantage of all the free food!

Finally, are you smart enough? Absolutely. I believe every transfer student goes through this struggle their first quarter, and you will never be prepared to deal with it until it is happening to you. UCSD is 100 times more academically rigorous than any community college you transferred from. I have spent more time studying then I have sleeping this year. You CAN handle the rigor at UCSD, that’s why you were accepted. During midterm season my first quarter at UCSD I was constantly on the phone with my mom telling her I couldn’t handle the rigor and wanted to drop out. I even considered changing my career path to not include a college education. You WILL get through it and learn how to navigate your way through the quarter system, give it time. Your first UCSD quarter GPA is likely to be your lowest, and that’s okay. Just come back winter quarter and kick some quarter system butt!

Overall, have fun and make some killer memories because you only have two years at this awesome institution!

Triton Love,

Kendall

UCSD '16 Political Science- American Politics Major
Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.