Kathleen Maguire: Medical Scholar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Kathleen Maguire is a 3rd year Biology Major at Marshall College. She is one of the 12 3rd year medical scholars at UCSD. Ever since her 1st year at UCSD, she’s been involved in the student body, developing her image as a commendable leader. Currently, she is the Chair of TMC Student Council and is also an orientation leader. Even with her active involvement in school-related functions, she manages to table time for personal enjoyment. Kathleen is also well versed in literature. She even had a research paper on beta-lactam antibiotics published when she was still in high school (here’s the link if you’re interested in reading it: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0099204). To understand her mentality and learn more about her interests, read on.

Q: I’m aware that you are a med scholar at UCSD. What exactly is a med scholar?

A: The program grants high school seniors provisional acceptance to the school of medicine. We are required to complete all of the normal premed coursework and maintain at least a 3.5 GPA.

Q: How has being a med scholar impacted your college career?A: As a med scholar I am mostly free of the burden of typical pre-med stress. I spend a great deal of time on extracurriculars, not because I need to build the perfect resume or application, but because I find it fulfilling.

Q: Are you involved in any extracurricular activities and/or clubs/organizations at UCSD?A: Since my first quarter at UCSD I have been involved in student government. My first year I was the Marshall 1st Year Representative. Then I became an A.S. Senator. Now, I am the Chair of Thurgood Marshall College Student Council (TMCSC). My goals for the fall quarter include increasing the visibility of TMCSC and lobbying the chancellor and the regents to deal with the issue of student housing. I am also an Orientation Leader at Thurgood Marshall College. Transitioning to college isn’t easy. When I first came to UCSD I was overwhelmed with the size of the student body and campus, but soon found my place in the community and fell in love with the school. I am grateful for the opportunity to help incoming students find their place at UCSD.

Q: Do you ever find time just to relax? What are your hobbies?A: Yes! I think I have a good balance between work and play. I like to take advantage of UCSD’s proximity to the beach by heading over whenever I can to swim, hang out with friends or read. I love Game of Thrones and am in the middle of reading “A Feast for Crows,” the 4th book in the series. Earlier this summer I learned how to play Settlers of Catan (a boardgame) and now I’m addicted. During the second summer session I ended up playing almost every day after class. I’m hoping that some of my new suitemates will know how to play, but if they don’t I will definitely teach them!

Q: Is there anything in particular that you look forward to in the near future?A: Although I love summer break, I’m excited to get back to UCSD to welcome the new students and see all of the other orientation leaders.

Q: What is your favorite quote?A: “You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” – Henry David Thoreau

Q: Lastly, if there is one message you’d like the readers to take away as motivation, what would it be?

A: Everyone has a different definition of success and happiness. Figure out what makes you happy and fulfilled and go out and do it regardless of what people say. “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” – Herman Cain

Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.