January Releases: Film Reviews and Ranking

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

January was somewhat of a dry month for film releases as many of the big blockbusters were released before the holidays. The theaters were also packed with re-releases of all the Oscar-nominated films that were released to theaters in 2023 but had limited runs, as well as some of the extremely popular films that people wanted to watch over and over again. Despite the small quantity of fresh films, there were still a few quality gems that stuck out.

All in all, I watched nine new films released in January, and here is how I would rank them:

9. Miller’s Girl (Rating: 1.5/5 stars)

Release Date: January 26, 2024

This movie follows a high schooler, Jenna Ortega, as she develops an obsession with her English teacher. It plays out exactly how one would imagine, with no notable shocks or plot twists. Despite the film’s attempt to pass as a psychosexual thriller, it fails to evoke any emotional response from its audience. There is no fear factor, nor any sympathetic moments, combined with an obscene amount of vulgarity, which ultimately results in a bland and slightly offensive viewing experience.

8. The Beekeeper (Rating: 2/5 stars)

Release Date: January 12, 2024

Although it falls flat at times, this film delivers a fun action experience to audiences. This movie stars Jason Statham, a great sign for a cheesy action flick, seeking to avenge the death of his elderly neighbor who fell victim to a cybersecurity scam. This film had some great elements: America’s sweetheart Josh Hutcherson with bleached tips, a man wearing a suit covered in the acronym ‘G.O.A.T.’ to work, and CGI that wasn’t offensively bad (most of the time). However, the action sequences were not remarkable, and the dialogue throughout the movie was laughable, which might be a good thing if you are someone who enjoys indulging in the corniness. Overall, this movie had a solid plot foundation but it was unable to deliver anything substantial.

7. Self Reliance (Rating: 2.5/5 stars)

Release Date: January 12 (Hulu)

Unlike “The Beekeeper”, the issues with this film were not in its plot fulfillment but in its identity as a thriller. “Self Reliance” is the story of a man, played by Jake Johnson who also directed the film, who accepts the challenge to play a game in which he is hunted for a month but if he survives the thirty-one days he will win $1 Million. Alongside his co-star Anna Kendrick, he navigates the game and the emotional challenges that ensue. The reason this film underwhelmed me was its lack of plot drivers and thrills. It was very one note for a movie with such an interesting premise and so many opportunities for excitement. However, the comedic aspects of the film were strong, with some fun guest star appearances, and silly gags throughout. All in all, this film is certainly worth a watch, especially since it was released almost directly to streaming.

6. Pixar’s Soul (Rating: 3/5 stars)

Release Date: January 12, 2024

This film is extremely emotion-provoking and beautifully made. “Soul” is a reflection on the value of life, the significance of love and relationships, and an attempt to determine what constitutes a life’s purpose. This is not a good film to watch if you are in an emotionally vulnerable place or spiraling about your future. Despite its beauty and merit, it is incredibly saddening and heavy. Although this film was originally released in 2020 to Disney+, it received a theatrical release in January as one of three movies released during the pandemic that Disney is re-releasing in theaters. The next film in the series, “Turning Red”, is re-releasing on February 9th. If you are not up for the emotional weight of “Soul”, this is a great alternative that has a fraction of the sadness and a significantly larger amount of fun.

5. Sometimes I Think About Dying (Rating: 3/5 stars)

Release Date: January 26, 2024

“Sometimes I Think About Dying” is categorized as a dramatic rom-com, but that is a very inadequate description of the film. Daisy Ridley plays the main character, Fran, who goes about her mundane life until a new coworker joins her small office. What follows is an attempt at romance and the examination of emotional and mental blockades that inhibit the formation of human relationships. It is sad, distressing, and confusing in the end. No real closure was provided in this film, in a way that was slightly more irritating than interesting. This film had a limited theatrical release, but if it is playing near you I would recommend seeing it if you are interested in a disheartening depiction of the pursuit of romance.

4. Society of the Snow (Rating: 3.5/5 stars)

Release Date: January 4, 2024 (Netflix)

Based on the true story of the Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571, a plane crash in the Andes mountains in 1972, “Society of the Snow” follows the tragic journey of a stranded rugby team. The viewing experience was extremely stressful and emotionally harrowing. The film was directed phenomenally and provided a striking cinematic experience. It was, at times, boring which is both shocking and disappointing. I would recommend this film to fans of true stories and intense dramas.

3. Foe (Rating: 3.5/5 stars)

Release Date: January 5, 2024 (Amazon Prime)

A sci-fi psychological thriller starring Ireland’s finest, Paul Mescal and Saoirse Ronan, donning their most insane, American Western accents. This film does a lot of great emotional work; it is the compelling tale of a married couple in the end times of Earth struggling with their relationship and the looming planetary evacuation. It is a complex story with genuinely shocking curveballs and, despite the at times questionable accents, solid performances from all involved. The main criticism of this film is that it inches along slowly until the very end. Although its duration is only slightly longer than the ideal 90-minute movie, it feels substantially longer.

2. Mean Girls (Rating: 3.5/5 stars)

Release Date: January 12, 2024

This movie was fun, sorry! The musical numbers– bad. The outfits– offensive to Gen-Z. The plot– “Mean Girls” (2004) but less compelling. The viewing experience, however– utterly and entirely enjoyable. Going into it with the confidential knowledge that it was a musical, I was not distraught when the opening note played, unlike others in my theater and across the nation. However, I was appalled by many of the choices that were made within the production regarding the delivery of the songs. This movie musical was not nearly as good as the original, but it was still enjoyable with many big comedic moments and good acting performances. The direction was fun, the plot was cohesive, and the musicality was not overwhelming. This is certainly worth tuning into when it eventually goes to streaming, and maybe in theaters if you have been on the fence about seeing it. 

1. Origin (Rating: 4/5 stars)

Release Date: January 19, 2024

This film was engaging through and through, providing the audience with a multidimensional viewing experience. It was deeply saddening, thought-provoking, funny, and impactful. This is the only film on this list that lingered for a few days after watching it. Based on a novelized true story, this movie details the experience of an American anthropologist as she delves into the oppressive nature of caste systems across the globe. There are some trigger warnings that should be mentioned, namely gun violence and genocide. The main critiques of this film lie in its content failing to provide fully flushed thoughts and the brevity of the examples utilized in furthering its overarching thesis. This movie is certainly worth watching, however going into it it should be understood that it is a dramatization of a woman’s life and research, not an entirely academic piece in itself.

Aubrey Smith, originally from Sacramento, CA, is a fourth year Political Science student at the University of California, San Diego. In her free time, Aubrey enjoys baking, using her AMC A-List pass, going to concerts, and spending time in the San Diego sun.