How to Survive Heat Wave 2k15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

When people think of beautiful UC San Diego, they imagine cool beach breezes and sunny skies. Unfortunately, this is not the current state of the campus due to El Nino, a warming of the Pacific Ocean. Instead it can be compared more the the vast expanse of the Sahara Desert. Campus housing was not built for this and to everyone’s dispair there is not air conditioning or central air. The housing website specifies, “Due to the exceptionally warm weather, we have been receiving requests to fix unit’s air conditioners. Please note, air conditioners are not installed in campus Housing. Thank you.” So here are five ways to survive the heat:

1. Go to class!

Unlike housing, all the classrooms have AC units. Even if it’s only for 50 minutes, a break from the sweltering temperature can change anyone’s day for the better.

2. Take sanctuary in the library.

I know many of you may avoid the library like the plague, but if you can endure the smell, the air-conditioned walls may become your refuge.

3. Open both doors of your housing unit to create a cross breeze.

It may not seem like much, but simply letting the air circulate helps in reducing the temperature of the room.

4. Invest in a fan.

Again this helps with air circulation and reducing the warmth of the air. After a long trek back from class, sitting in front of it can feel like you’re in the Artic.

5. Stay hydrated!

One of the terrible side effects of exposure to excruciating heat is sweat. Making sure that you aren’t dying of thirst can make you feel 1,000 times better. 

Third Year at UC San Diego at Marshall College. Proud member of Panhellenic with ambitions to go to law school and become a Supreme Court Justice.
Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach.