How To Celebrate Valentine’s Day With Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

It’s not easy to ignore the signs of the next impending holiday: Valentine’s Day. A sense of overwhelming love for your significant other, a burning desire to purchase bouquets of roses, a nascent obsession with chocolate…

Okay, I’m pretty sure that isn’t how it works. The couples around you seem to hold hands more often as the girlfriends imagine what their romantic counterpart will give them (roses? A giant teddy bear? An evening out on the town?), everything in stores seems to be in monochromatic shades of red, people begin to stock up on candy Conversation Hearts (does anyone even like those?), and you stand there thinking that, regardless of your feelings towards this commercialized holiday, you might as well stop hatin’ and start participatin’.

Whether you are in a steady, loving, passionate relationship or not, it’s still fun to make yourself feel shiny and special. To help in this quest to make you feel the way you deserve (beautiful, confident, alluring, and loved), I have compiled a small list of some places to acquire the perfect Valentine’s Day necessities.

Before you purchase your dresses and lingerie, though, you should be aware of what the garments’ color is actually saying! Color Psychology is the study of colors’ effects on human behavior. The color red is emotionally intense, quickening heart and breathing rates while stimulating passion. Pink is said to be “tranquilizing” and gives off a nurturing, light-hearted vibe. White is the color of innocence, purity, perfection, and new beginnings; so, if you and your mate are recovering from a tiff or general disagreement, this could be the color for you! While black doesn’t necessarily show your festivity towards Valentine’s Day, I think it is the most enticing. Red may evoke passion, but black symbolizes mystery, authority, and power… plus, it’s the most slimming!

Now, back to feeling shiny. For the clothing everyone will see, I would highly recommend Nasty Gal for a classic look with an edge. Wearing any of the aforementioned colors and these dresses, you’re sure to turn some heads! Urban Outfitters is also sporting some nice dresses lately: simple, yet flattering. Anthropologie is on a similar wavelength, but with a more boho print spectrum that airs more on the mature side. Tobi is similar to Nasty Gal in the sense that it’s strappy, stripy, and sexy. Your dinner date won’t be able to take their eyes off of you!

After your dinner date, your passion-evoking color-choosing skills may lead to a game of “hide the cannoli” (and I’m not talking about the dessert). Luckily, you’ll be more than prepared with your undergarment choice! If you’re looking for Victoria’s Secret-esque lingerie, Tigermist is roughly the same price and style, but doesn’t bombard you with superfluous straps and push-up padding that makes your breasts look like they’re hoisted up to your chin. For Love and Lemons has lingerie that is a bit more playful, but the patterns and cutouts are sexy all the same. Something similar to this is Planet Blue, which ranges from comfortable to frisky to jaw-dropping. These last two are my favorites, probably because they look like Coachella in a boudoir.

So, whether you have a mate or are celebrating this holiday with friends (or even alone), remember that you are special and hot and beautiful and that it’s alright to treat yourself this Valentine’s Day: you deserve it! It is with these tips in mind that I wish you all a fun, spicy, invigorating, confident, romantic, not-too-bitter Valentine’s Day (and night)!

Curly-haired, Led Zeppelin-loving female with an affinity for fart jokes and self-indulgence
Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.