Hey Siri Play Burna Boy, from an Afrobeat Enthusiast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Dear Afrobeats, I love you.

I was first introduced to Afrobeats back in 2019 when I studied abroad in Ghana and instantly fell in love. There was something about the complex polyrhythmic beats, heavy repetitive percussion and catchy melodies which excited my ever-growing music-loving soul. 

I believe it was Nigerian artist Fela Kuti who coined the term “Afrobeat,” however the origins of Afrobeats are tied to the history of both Ghanian and Nigerian musical styles. Ghanaian musicians were influenced by foreign music genres and incorporated calypso (an Afro-Caribbean style of music) and foxtrot with traditional Ghanain rhythms. Nigerian artists soon followed in creating this music which transcended continental and cultural boundaries. In addition genres such as Hiplife, Jùjù music and Highlife all fell under the umbrella term of Afrobeats and merged together to create the Afrobeat genre.

Here are some of my favorite Afrobeat artists, albums and songs: 

Burna Boy 

Burna Boy is a Nigerian singer and songwriter who you definitely want to check out. On the Low by Burna Boy was the first Afrobeat song I had ever heard and it brings back so many memories everytime I listen to it. Ye is one of his most popular songs you just may hear being played at the club and Wonderful gives all the good vibes you need to start your day on the right side of the bed. His popularity has increased significantly in the past few years and he has collaborated with artists such as Jeremih, Future, YG, Jorja Smith and was featured on The Gift, an album curated by Beyoncé. His song, Anybody brings back some of my fondest memories of when I interned at a radio station in Ghana and I would listen to one of my coworkers singing “anybody, wey no want to soji,” over and over again filling the silent room with the rich melodic sounds of Burna Boy’s lyrics. 

The Gift 

Released in 2019, The Gift is the soundtrack album for the new Lion King movie and was curated by Beyoncé featuring artists from Ghana, Nigeria and South Africa. Here are my top 4 songs on this album that feature African artists: ALREADY (featuring Ghanaian artist, Shatta Wale), MY POWER (featuring Nija, Busiswa and Yemi Alade), KEYS TO THE KINGDOM (featuring Tiwa Savage and Mr Eazi) and JA ARA E (by Burna Boy). Some of my other favorite songs on the album include FIND YOUR WAY BACK, BIGGER and BROWN SKIN GIRL. If you haven’t already listened to this album, or watched Beyoncé’s visual album featuring the songs on The Gift album, stop what you’re doing and go listen to it right now because it is *chef kiss. 

CCTV by King Promise 

King Promise is a Ghanaian singer and songwriter. His song CCTV is about putting his trust in  God to protect him. Though the majority of this is sung in another language the chorus can be roughly translated to, “We have a God, who never sleeps. He is my CCTV and he watches over me. Even if I walk through the valley of death, I have no fear, everyday I have God’s protection.” Some other songs to listen to by King Promise are: Tokyo, Bra, Alright, Baby I’m Jealous. 

Dumebi by Rema 

Rema is a 20-year-old Nigerian artist. His song Dumebi is one of my favorites and is about having a crush on a girl. You definitely want to check this song out! Trust me, it will have you singing Dumebi, Dumebi, by the end of the song! 

Drogba (Joanna) by Afro B 

Afro B is a British DJ whose song Drogba (Joanna) has been played from Accra to San Diego. The song is super catchy and will have you dancing around your room screaming “Why you do me like that? Joanna!” 

Rihanna by Yxng Bane

Yxng Bane is a British rapper, singer and songwriter from East London. His song Rihanna is about him telling the girl he likes that she’s “bad like Rihanna” which lets be honest, is one of the best compliments out there. Some other songs I really like by him are Needed Time and Fine Wine.

Iskaba by Wande Coal, DJ Tunez

Wade Coal is a Nigerian singer who wrote the song Iskaba about going crazy for a girl. I highly recommend checking out Wade Coal’s music video for all the vibes!  

MOSLADO by Teni

In writing this article I stumbled across Teni, a Nigerian singer and entertainer (and a sagittarius like me!) Teni’s song MOSLADO caught my attention and quickly became one of my favorites. Another song I really like is FOR YOU featuring DaVido. 

This piece has been one of the easiest to write because I am super passionate about music, however, it has been one of the most difficult because I want to add so many more songs and artists onto this list. What I love about Afrobeats is the depth to the songs and the multilayered polyrhythmic elements paired with different languages and dialects which pay homage to musical styles from around the world. I could go on and on about music all day, but for now, I hope my article was both informative and excited you to delve into your own musical journey. 

Here is a link to my Afrobeat playlist: 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4NYOYaXWnv7bnAFism2GZH?si=cfff6a6f27234afb 

Leigh Fahrion is a transnational Chinese adoptee who attends University of California, San Diego. She is a fourth-year transfer student who attended University of Oregon before transferring to UCSD where she currently is a Communication major and Ethnic Studies minor in pursuit of her Bachelors Degree. She is passionate about storytelling through creative mediums such as photography, film, art, music and food.
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.