This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Name: Jordan Hunt

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Year: Third Year Transfer

Major/Minor: Communications 

College: Revelle

Hometown: Los Angeles

A brand new school year has begun and with it came an opportunity to meet some of UC San Diego’s new Her Campus members. I had the opportunity to interview a fresh new face to Her Campus UCSD, Jordan Hunt. A third-year transfer student attending Revelle College and majoring in Communications. Jordan let me know all about her motivation to join Her Campus, how she’s changed since the pandemic hit, who she sees herself as, and more. 

What made you join Her Campus?

“I was interested in joining Her Campus (HC) because I love to write. Once I learned more about HC, I knew that I wanted to join because I would be given the opportunity to write about practically anything I want. I love that HC doesn’t have one specific theme, but rather talks about such a large variety of topics, from funny to political, and educational.”

What are you studying and what field do you hope to get into after graduation?

“I’m majoring in Communication. After graduation, I hope to either go into journalism (as a writer for a newspaper or magazine) or go into the film industry (as a screenwriter and director).”

What would you tell yourself from 5 years ago about who you are today?

“I would tell my five-years-ago self that I’m on a good path today and I’m pursuing what I love.” 

How has the pandemic changed you?

“The pandemic has made me more attune to current events and more motivated to get involved.”

What are three things on your bucket list and why?

“Three things on my bucket list are

1. Live abroad because I’ve always wanted to live outside of the U.S. and be completely immersed in a different culture. 
  2. Become fluent in French because I want to speak more than one language. I studied French for four years and I don’t want that time to have been a waste. 

and

1. Take cooking classes because I love to cook but I’ve never learned the correct way to do certain things (like dice an onion or crack an egg).”

What moment in life has really helped define who you are as a person?

“One moment in my life that has helped define who I am as a person was when I decided to do a year at a community college to save money, rather than take out thousands of dollars worth of loans to go to a four-year university right out of high school. This decision made me much more realistic and aware of my financial abilities and helped me make better choices moving forward.” 

Who do you identify as?

“I identify as a woman, as a writer, and currently as a struggling off-campus college student – because taking advanced classes and worrying about paying bills isn’t easy.”

Maria is majoring in English Literature at UC San Diego. She loved reading, writing, and sewing. She hopes to one day become a published author in the YA genre.