Style > Beauty

Her Beauty: 5 Affordable Products for a Glowing Complexion This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.
Generally, San Diego winters are far from dreary. The sun shines, a lovely breeze persists, and only a few truly gloomy days come knocking. Nevertheless, it’s easy to feel a little “blah” this time of the year; lack of inspiration regarding anything but Netflix and tea can pervade our collegiette lives. Our skincare and makeup routines can feel extraneous and boring, leading to lackluster skin come springtime. Don’t worry, though, collegiettes! HC has rounded up five of the most covet-worthy and affordable products to brighten up your winter complexion and look forward to spring beauty. Here’s the products that will have you glowing by March.

1. Milani Baked Blush in Bella Rosa: We couldn’t talk about radiant skin without mentioning one of HC’s favorite beauty products: blush! Blush can be a glow-seeker’s best friend; a pop of color on the apples of the cheeks makes all the difference. Don’t be afraid to play with bright colors during the winter. When the sky is gray, sometimes the bolder the cheek color, the better. This blush, a hot pink-red, may look a little scary in the package, but, when used in moderation, provides a flattering pink tint to cheeks. It’s also perfect for all skin tones!

Where to find it: Walgreen’s
How much: $7.79

2. Tea Tree Oil: This one may be a bit unexpected, but stick with us. Tea tree oil is a natural wonder, treating and preventing those pesky blemishes. Apply a small amount of this essential oil onto spots this winter for a gentle, but effective fix. And here’s a bonus, this blemish-fighter won’t dry out tired winter skin! 

Where to Find It: Trader Joe’s
How much: $5.99

3. Elf Studio Blush in Pink Passion: You didn’t think we would just mention one blush, did you? If there’s anything an HC girl loves more than a flirty complexion booster, it’s a flirty complexion booster that is also a major bargain. This poppy pink blush rings in at only a few dollars and adds a delicate, but noticeable kiss of pink to cheeks. We recommend this blush for girls with cool skin tones particularly. 

Where to Find It: Target
How much: $3

4. Lucas’ Papaw Ointment: Think of Lucas’ Papaw Ointment as intense Vaseline. Believe us, it’s a miracle worker! This product, which can be used to treat dry skin, chapped lips, minor burns, and other skin concerns, comes from fermented Australian papaya. The ointment is also perfect to treat cracked cuticles and is the best overnight lip moisturizer! Add this little tube to your cosmetic bag for a natural skin cure-all. 

Where to Find It: Amazon
How Much: About $12

5. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in Sunny: We are rounding out our radiant list with a bronzing powder from NYC. This product is one of the cheapest on our list, but provides skin with warmth that summer would envy. Apply this matte powder to areas of the face the sun would naturally hit: under the eyes, along the jaw line, and across the forehead. Amazing results await you.

Where to Find It: Target
How Much: $3

Best of luck throughout our bleak (ish) San Diego winter, collegiettes. We can’t wait to get glowing!
Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.