Mary and her father sitting on the grass.
Mary Mikaili

Happy Mother’s Day… Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

My dad is a single parent who has taken on the role of being my father and mother for my sister and I. There are absolutely no words to describe how amazing and selfless my dad is because without him, I don’t know what I would do, or who I would be. 

Around seven years ago, my parents got divorced, and my father quickly made the decision to have full custody of his kids. My father did the best he could to raise two girls, especially when I was going through the awkward teenage years and my sister was too young to understand why our mother wasn’t around the house. Being the older sister meant I had to step up and be the “mother” of the house when my dad was at work. I helped him clean, cook, and take my sister to school as well as doctor appointments. I don’t blame my dad for giving me all of these responsibilities at a young age, he needed my help. It taught me to be independent, have a strong work ethic and I would do it all over again if I had to.  

My dad works hard every single day to provide a comfortable life for us. He wakes up every morning at 6am to go to work (even today during COVID-19) and comes back around 7pm. He would do anything for us, and I mean anything. 

He always taught us to be independent and never settle for anything less. He taught us that no matter what kind of challenge we may face to always fight back harder. He taught us to forgive, even if it may be difficult (which it still is). The most important is that he taught us to be strong. His words of wisdom will forever be cherished. 

Dad, Happy Mother’s day. 

There are no amount of thank yous and gifts for being such an amazing dad. Thank you for taking care of me. Thank you for all the times you had to leave work early to pick me up from school. Thank you for the amount of times you had to wake up early to make us lunch for school, even though you were tired. Thank you for never giving up on us like my mother did. You are my forever hero.

Every year, Mother’s day used to be an upsetting and dreadful holiday to me because I didn’t have a mom. I used to think how can my mom leave my sister and I with no explanation? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? 

A mother doesn’t have to be biological. A mother can be anyone who takes care of you, loves you, supports you, and does everything to provide for you. My dad, along with the rest of my family is all I need in my life, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

First generation Assyrian woman who is a California native. After living in NorCal all her life, she currently resides in SoCal attending UC San Diego as a Communications major in pursuit of a Bachelors Degree. Her goal is to eventually receive a Masters Degree in Broadcast Journalism and land her dream job as a News Anchor. Her interests include fitness, makeup, music, social media and video production. Follow Mary on instagram (@marymikaili).
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.