This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

I have always been interested in hearing people describe their guilty pleasures. Oxford Languages defines a guilty pleasure as “something, such as a movie, television program, or piece of music, that one enjoys despite feeling that it is not generally held in high regard.” Usually, this is used as an icebreaker question and leaves many laughing or relating to the responses. I tend to struggle with this answer. After some reflection, I find it interesting that we label activities that we enjoy as “guilty.” I believe that it is so important to find ways to relax and relish in our free time in whatever way feels best– even if it is not the most popular way. We should all embrace the things we love and not be ashamed of them. Ultimately, a guilty pleasure is something that brings you happiness or acts as entertainment that allows you to decompress. The power behind that should not be taken away from you by calling it “guilty.”  I want to share with you some of mine.

I have two main things I like that many would call a guilty pleasure. The first is True Crime Podcasts. I have always been fascinated by learning about police investigations as well as the judicial process that is touched upon in true crime podcasts. In addition, many podcasts of this nature use their platform to get national attention for unsolved crimes or provide insight on ways to stay safer as a listener. Although many would label this guilty, I feel like I gain knowledge and time to take a break from my other responsibilities by listening, which is the most important part.

The second guilty pleasure of mine is reality television. I never thought I would be invested in these shows but I find myself waiting for the newest season of Love is Blind and Selling Sunset.  I think the appeal of these shows is that you can get completely absorbed in another person’s world and the drama is fun to discuss with friends who also watch the show. Reality television is definitely an escape from your own problems and allows you to focus on someone else’s whether or not you think it is sincere. These shows are a great way to relax and you shouldn’t feel guilty about it.

The lesson in this is to indulge yourself in whatever makes you feel good. Watch what you want to watch, listen to the same song on repeat, order takeout when you don’t want to cook. Embrace it without guilt. 

Anna Claire is a third year at UCSD, majoring in Political Science with an emphasis in American Politics. She loves to read, write, go on hikes and is passionate about social justice. After undergrad, she plans on attending law school. Her favorite places to be are the beach or in the desert surrounded by Joshua Trees and a starry sky.