Womens History Month 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Womens History Month 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Female Artists Everyone Should Celebrate This Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

March is Women’s History Month! The music industry can be tough, especially for women, so what better way to highlight women’s contributions to contemporary society than to honor the accomplishments of female artists! 

Doja Cat

Doja Cat has been a musical artist for quite some time now, but only rose to stardom within recent years. Her earlier music was often dismissed for being trivial. However, after the release of her sophomore album Hot Pink, she quickly went from a meme to a chart topping artist. Her fun songwriting and strong stage presence has made it so that she headlines some of the biggest festivals in the world. In fact, it was just announced that she will even be joining The Weeknd on his U.S. and Canada tour dates this summer. Her achievements thus far are clear indicators of a successful career, which definitely makes them worth celebrating. 

Taylor swift

While many now recognize Taylor Swift as a global superstar, this wasn’t always the case. Throughout her career she dealt with others undermining her artistry, sexist representations of her in the media, and, let’s not forget, her battle with former manager Scooter Braun. However, she has faced these challenges head on by proving herself as a singer and songwriter, addressing sexism within the entertainment industry, and re-recording her albums to regain ownership. Her ability to persevere when odds were stacked against her illustrate a type of resilience worth honoring. 

Kacey Musgraves

Kacey Musgraves is no stranger to being the only woman in the room. The country singer-songwriter is paving the way for women in male dominated spaces. She has shared details of being excluded by other country artists simply because she’s a woman. However, the singer didn’t let that stop her from going on to top charts or win awards, including Album of the Year at the Grammys. Musgraves is also an outspoken advocate for other marginalized communities, e.g. LGTBQ+, POC, etc., something that many in her field frowned upon. Her career success and advocacy demonstrate a type of leadership that is clearly worth commemorating. 

Olivia rodrigo

It goes without saying that Olivia Rodirgo has had a memorable year. In this short amount of time she has released her debut album, announced a tour, and received countless awards. At just 19 years old she has already reached a level of stardom that is unattainable for most. Despite still having her entire career in front of her, her accomplishments are worth celebrating given that the seven time Grammy nominated artist has already established herself as one of the biggest stars of her generation. 

Music is a big part of American culture, so when celebrating Women’s History Month it’s important to highlight female artists that represent the change we would like to see in society. Here’s to Women’s History Month and the most girlboss playlist ever!

Laylani Cedano is a first year transfer student at the University of California San Diego. She is currently a Communication major and plans to pursue a career as a talent manager in the entertainment industry. During her free time she enjoys roller-skating, thrifting, and hanging out with friends. Some of her interests include music, film, and anything pop culture!