tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Reviews and ranking of new movies released in February

This February there were a few big movie releases that made a lot of noise in the media, and some great flicks that flew under the radar as well. With the long-anticipated releases of Argylle and Madame Web, this month in cinema had a lot to deliver. Although the product was somewhat of a mixed bag, there was something good for everyone.

All in all, I watched 9 new films released in February, and here is how I would rank them:

9. This is Me… Now (2/5 stars)

Release Date: February 16, 2024 (Prime Video)

This film was incredibly boring while simultaneously being one of the most insane movies I have ever watched. In essence, this is a visual album chronicling the tumultuous love life of Jennifer Lopez. It attempts to uncover the roots of her psychological issues and unhealthy relationships through cuts to therapy sessions and self-professed emotional epiphanies. However, this film fails to produce any substantial ideas or revelations about love and relationships. In the end, and this may be a spoiler, Lopez returns to her endless pursuit of love with nothing but a newfound appreciation of this damaging aspect of her personality. The insanity lies in the musical numbers that depict her dreams and her previous relationships in grand spectacles throughout the film. The juxtaposition of the snooze-worthy content of this film and the outrageous delivery is nauseating. Even Keke Palmer couldn’t make this film worth watching.

8. Madame Web (2.5/5 stars)

Release Date: February 14, 2024

The newest in a line of Marvel-adjacent Sony films, Madame Web does not break the mold in any capacity. This film fails to deliver a solid script or any well-delivered lines, but if you take a quick peek at the cast this should not be surprising in the slightest. However, for fans of HBO’s Girls, the appearance of Zosia Mamet is a saving grace. Despite the shortcomings of this movie, the plot was not horrible. It was cohesive and engaging, with no dragging lulls in the action. For fans of the golden age of Marvel, this movie is not going to be anything remarkable. For fans of Spider-Man, don’t bother watching this film to catch any easter eggs – it is seemingly an unrelated one-off. However, as a basic superhero film, it isn’t the worst, and anyone wanting to see it should not be dissuaded from going.

7. Land of Bad (3/5 stars)

Release Date: February 16, 2024

This film got almost no press, but it was a solid military action movie with a surprising cast. Featuring Russell Crowe, Liam Hemsworth, and Milo Ventimiglia as US military personnel, this film follows a rescue mission in the Philippines that goes awry. The movie is one long action sequence; there is very little fluff and a poor attempt at portraying emotional connections. There is nothing notable about this film that elevates it above the generic action film, but it still manages to keep audiences on the edge of their seats. For fans of pure action films, who aren’t opposed to US military propaganda, this is a great option.

6. Bob Marley: One Love (3/5 stars)

Release Date: February 14, 2024

Biopics have had a great run, but it’s time for directors to put that biography down and pick up an original screenplay. Bob Marley: One Love is the biographical story of Bob Marley, the most influential Jamaican musician in history. It begins before his peace concert in 1976 in which Marley would be performing to stand against the political violence that was destabilizing the country. The ensuing plot details his career and the messages of his music about freedom and unity, especially pertaining to the ongoing political context of Jamaica at the time. Although the story itself is fascinating, the cinematic delivery was lackluster. The movie was slow at times and did not pick up until the last 30 minutes. It failed to deliver the serious emotional impact that it attempted to convey.

5. Drive-Away Dolls (3.5/5 stars)

Release Date: February 23, 2024

Despite the shockingly short length of this film, it delivers a lot of jokes and an exciting adventure that is worth consuming as a comedy, not as an action movie. This movie follows two lesbians on a road trip to Tallahassee, Florida in a drive-away vehicle. It is a classic thriller film in which the protagonists have randomly gained possession of an item that is highly coveted by the antagonists, therefore resulting in a long chase sequence. A considerable amount of the material in this film is related to sexuality and graphic, sexual content, which audiences should be aware of before viewing. Although this is a comedic thriller, the plot primarily revolves around the relationships of the two protagonists and less on the action aspects. This film would have been substantially better if it was slightly longer and more of an action-packed journey.

4. Argylle (3/5/5 stars)

Release Date: February 2, 2024

Argylle is a classic spy thriller and action movie, although it leans more toward comedy than drama. It is certainly not comparable to a James Bond film, but maybe Jason Bourne. There were at least eight different plot twists in this film. Although not all of them were aptly shocking, the effort is commendable. The biggest plot twist for me was discovering that one of the protagonists was played by Sam Rockwell and not Owen Wilson; it was truly an uncanny performance. This movie was slow initially but as it progressed it picked up speed and eventually was flying through the plot at an exuberant rate. Despite the predictable nature of this movie, it managed to retain the attention of audiences and provide a fun viewing experience. 

3. Scrambled (4/5 stars)

Release Date: February 2, 2024

“Scrambled” follows protagonist Nellie as she goes through the process of freezing her eggs. It touches on the hardships of fertility, societal expectations of women, and complex human relationships. As in Drive-Away Dolls, this film also has some graphic, sexual content that viewers should be aware of before attending. This film is charming and emotional as audiences are confronted with their own aging and uncertainty. Despite the heavy content, the movie retains its lighthearted tone and is substantially funny. This is certainly aimed toward a female audience, although the messages about societal expectations resonate well with all viewers.

2. Turning Red (4/5 stars)

Release Date: February 9, 2024

Of the three Disney films being released to theaters this winter, Turning Red is the standout. This Pixar tells the story of Mei Lee, a 13-year-old girl who inexplicably begins to turn into a giant red panda whenever she experiences extreme emotions. This story delves into adolescence, cultural expectations, friendships, and the complexities of girlhood. Mei is a very relatable female character, being an awkward teenager and all. The result is a film that is both funny and endearing. Although this film is marketed more towards children and teenagers, it is a fun watch for all ages because it is so relatable. Despite the explicit focus on the Chinese heritage of the protagonist, the messages about culture and identity conflicts are universal. This is a sweet movie that is certainly worth a watch; and if audiences don’t want to go to the theaters, it is streaming on Disney+.

1.Lisa Frankenstein (4.5/5 stars)

Release Date: February 9, 2024
Lisa Frankenstein is the newest work of screenwriter Diablo Cody, evident in the similarities of this film to the writer’s prior work in Jennifer’s Body. This movie follows 80’s high school student Lisa and her new, undead friend as she helps him regain his life while they attempt to start hers. This film is best described as a romantic comedy with horror overtones and a campy delivery. It is a little bit gory but exceedingly funny, with lead Kathryn Newton delivering an exceptional performance as a flailing teenage girl. Uncertain movie-goers should not be put off by the horror element of the film. It is violent at times but not frightening. Out of all the new films this month, this was the most enjoyable viewing experience, and it delivered a rather refreshing take on a classic story. Also, seeing as February is the month of love, it is only right to put a romantic comedy in first place.

Aubrey Smith, originally from Sacramento, CA, is a fourth year Political Science student at the University of California, San Diego. In her free time, Aubrey enjoys baking, using her AMC A-List pass, going to concerts, and spending time in the San Diego sun.