Fast and Furious 7: A Final Ride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Fast cars, explosions, and Paul Walker. Need I say more? After six hit films, the Fast and Furious saga has never been stronger, as this new installment brings even more action packed scenes and faster, luxurious cars. Fast and Furious 7 picks up where its predecessor left off, with a dangerous brother seeking revenge against the racing rat pack with the intent to destroy them, one by one.

The story begins with Deckard Shaw, played by Jason Statham, paying a visit to his hospitalized brother, previous villain of the 6th film, Owen Shaw, and leaving the building ablaze. Halfway across the world in California, we are reunited with Dominic Torreto and his long love, Letty, as they attend the Race Wars. Dominic takes Letty here in an attempt to help rebuild her long-term memory that was shattered after her racing accident in a previous film. Letty gets back behind the wheel and wins her first race, but is shaken up by the experience and tells Dominic she stills needs to find herself. Next we see Agent Hobbs, played by actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, who has taken a break from being a field agent for the FBI. However he is paid a visit by Deckard, and endures a battle so violent that he is hospitalized. Brian O’ Conner, played by the late Paul Walker, is busy being a full-time dad to his son Jack and husband to Mia Torreto. Although he loves his family, Brian still misses the fast paced life of the racing crew, telling Mia he “misses the bullets”. However the family is shaken up as a violent explosion planted by Deckard at Torreto’s house nearly kills them all. In a phone call to Dominic, Deckard warns him that he has become his next target, and he learns of the death of crew member, Han, played by Sung Kang, in Tokyo.

The crew is reignited for one last mission to avenge their late brother’s death. To do so, Dominic and the crew are reassembled by Agent Nobody of the U.S. government, played by Kurt Russell, to track down a device called “God’s eye” and its creator, Ramsey who has been kidnapped by a high profile terrorist, Jakarde. Their agendas align as using this device would give the gang immediate access to Deckard’s location, and thus they will be able to carry out their revenge. The team, which includes: Tej, played by Ludacris, Roman played by Tyrese Gibson, in addition to Dominic, Letty, and Brian, enact a plan that involves having their cars being dropped out of an airplane and onto a desolate road to overtake the terrorist’s crew. This action packed scene is sure to keep you on your toes, and convince you that cars actually can fly.

After thwarting the terrorist crew and recapturing the mysterious hacker Ramsey, played by Nathalie Emmanuel, the crew travels to Abu Dhabi to obtain “God’s Eye” from a Prince. In their fight to obtain the software, which not to mention is hidden inside one of the world’s rarest Lamborghinis, Dominic and Brian steal the luxury car and are chased not only by the terrorists but Deckard as well. Driving the car through two skyscrapers and barely escaping death once again, the two daredevils obtain the device and with Mr. Nobody’s assistance, head back to their own streets to put an end to the fight against Deckard.

I won’t ruin the ending for ya’ll, but I will say that the film includes a very heartwarming and touching tribute to the late Paul Walker, which is sure to bring every audience member to tears. When a tragic car accident lead to the actor’s shocking death in 2013, the directors faced a serious obstacle. Not only did they lose a beloved cast member, but several action sequences had not been finished. However, filmmakers were able to create a CGI version of the actor through the stand in of his brother’s Caleb and Cody and CGI technology. This incredible feat resulted in an almost spitting image of Paul, allowing for the film to be finished, as the producers’ claim Paul would have wanted.

Overall this film revived the core purpose of these films: fast cars, fighting, and family. For those who are true fans of this series, you will not be disappointed. The enhanced cinematography places you directly in the middle of each fist fight and car chase, making you feel like part of the crew. The film hits theaters worldwide April 3rd, don’t miss out on this accelerating experience! Ride or die!   

Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.