Emily Goble: A.S. Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Meet Emily Goble, a beautiful, kind, and inspiring woman who is going to be an amazing engineer! I envy her ability to do it all – from a sorority to Engineering Senator for AS – Emily is involved in everything. I asked her a few questions about what motivates her and keeps her organized. Read on to find out more!

How did you decide you wanted to get involved in AS?

From my experience with student government through Warren College Student Council and after being on the boards of several student organizations, I realized that serving as a voice for underrepresented groups on campus and ensuring funding/work-space for them was something I could do well and should do. Taking on positions and responsibilities within the UCSD engineering community made me aware of problems that need to be tackled and gave me motivation and passion to find solutions for them. At the same time, I had started working in the AS Office of College Affairs and learned more about the structure of AS and how its resources help improve UCSD communities. Shortly after, I was asked to run for the AS Engineering Senator position and of course I said yes. 

What do you love about it?

The work I get to do with Associated Students empowers me to make positive changes for my peers and the general UCSD community. At the same time, I do this along side talented, passionate, and inspiring individuals who strive for societal and community improvement. Serving on AS has made me a more aware, caring, and educated person and it’s been an experience that I feel like all college students should have. 

Any advice for women in STEM majors?

Yes! Don’t doubt your abilities! Statically female college students are more likely to drop out or change into a non-STEM major once they start receiving less than A grades in classes than their male counterparts receiving similar grades. If you are passionate about a field of study and want to pursue a future career path, then you already have the tools necessary for success. Work hard, reach out for help, and keep going. Women and men are equally smart and able and no one is “not smart enough” for a major. 

What’s the best way you’ve learned to manage your time?

I live by my planner. It sounds a little dull, but I schedule pretty much everything I do and stick to those commitments. If I know that I have a midterm coming up, I’ll schedule in study time just so I can hold myself accountable to doing the work. Between my internship, classes, sorority, student orgs, Associated Students, friends, and family, I have a lot on my plate, but working efficiently, scheduling commitments, being aware of upcoming assignments/tests, and finding time for fun are all things that help me keep on track.

I hope Emily’s words of advice and aspirations inspire you, collegiettes!

Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach.