This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

El Nino hit UCSD hard on Wednesday afternoon. Many students were seen sitting drenched in classrooms, umbrellas flipped inside out, and flooded lecture halls. There was even a tornado warning in La Jolla. Who would have thought? Our school is definitely not built to handle this much rain, because it’s so unusual, and there was a lot of damage in the aftermath. So what is this “El Nino” that is causing so much rainfall? It simply refers to an extreme weather pattern in which there are warmer than normal waters in the Eastern Pacific Ocean along the equator. This phenoma typically happens, on average, every five years. The rain is caused by the excess moisture due to the warmer temperatures. Ways you all can prepare is to buy the appropriate gear (rain jacket, rain boots, and heavy warm sweaters) and to make plans for emergency alternate transportation or ways to stay at a friends on campus if it’s raining too much to go home. Stay safe and dry, collegiettes!

Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach.