This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Let’s be honest, in a dorm there is rarely an option outside of choosing between eating in a dining hall, microwaving Hot Pockets or calling for Chinese take-out. While these are all viable options, sometimes we want just a bit more than the “still cold but I’ll eat it anyways” frozen TV dinner or greasy pizza. Here are a few recipe ideas that still use the microwave, but come with a homemade and healthy twist!

Mug Cakes

Craving something sweet but too lazy to head to the cafeteria to get a cookie? These mug cakes are incredibly simple to make, are extremely versatile and often require less than five ingredients, all of which can be found in on campus markets or may already be in your room!

–Nutella Souffle: In a microwaveable mug, add 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of nutella and combine thoroughly. Microwave on high for about 1 ½ to 2 ½ minutes for a decadent midnight snack.

–Peanut Butter Cake: Put ½ tablespoon peanut butter, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 ½ tablespoon of flour into a microwaveable mug for a treat that will satisfy any sweet tooth.

Breakfast in a Cup

Have a few minutes to spare before your class in the morning? Instead of getting those powdered scrambled eggs from the cafeteria or buying a latte that costs an arm and a leg, try out these simple yet delicious recipes!

–Quiche in a Cup: Scramble an egg into a mug with some salt and pepper, add in any desired vegetables and a few cubes of wheat bread then microwave for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes, or until fluffy, and top with some shredded cheese for a quick and healthy breakfast.

–Microwaved Oats: Measure about ½ cup of oatmeal into a mug and fill with enough water so that it just covers the oats. Microwave for about 2 minutes and flavor it with whatever you’re craving! Sweeten it with some cinnamon or honey, top it with almonds or coconut chips or add a few banana slices and berries on top for a nutritious breakfast on the go.

Microwaveable Mexican Food

Living in SD, it’s almost imperative that you have Mexican food on a regular basis. But sometimes, it’s too much of a hassle to drive out to Vallarta’s in the middle of the night. Instead try out these easy recipes!

–Vegetarian Tacos: Turn two microwave mugs on their side and place tortillas inside so that they look like taco shells. Microwave for about 1 ½ minutes on high, take them out and fill with black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole and top with lime.

–Nachos: On a microwaveable plate, put as many tortilla chips as desired on the bottom layer before generously sprinkling with cheese and dolloping refried pinto beans. Microwave for about 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted to your liking and top with tomatoes, salsa, avocados, corn or anything else you want!

Hopefully these recipes inspire you to create your own microwave recipes and give you the much deserved break from the usual food suspects found in the typical dining hall or take-out menu!

Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach.