With Sun God this weekend and summer quickly approaching, flower crowns have been heating up in the Triton fashion world. As collegiettes on a budget, the team at HC thought we’d share with you a tutorial to make your very own flower crown! The process and supplies needed are actually quite simple. Depending on how much of a statement you want to make with your crown, you will need a variety of fake flowers. We say, more is always better! In addition to the flowers, you will need scissors, floral wire, small pliers, ribbon, and gauge wire. All of these supplies can be purchased at any local craft store, like Michael’s or Beverly’s, for $10 or less!
Here’s what to do:
1. Take the floral wire and form it to fit the shape of your head. It doesn’t need to wrap all the way around, just about halfway.
2. Form loops at the ends of the wire with the pliers, and hook the ribbon through it, making a tight and secure knot. Make sure to close the loop firmly so the ribbon doesn’t slip out!
3. Next, pick out the flowers you want to use and cut them with the pliers. Get creative and incorporate some of the leaves, or choose different colors to really make your crown pop in the audience.
4. To attach the flowers, wrap the stems around the floral wire; secure it by wrapping the gauge wire around, as well. If the flowers you are using have a hole in the middle, insert the gauge wire through that and thread it through. Make a loop at the end of the wire to keep the flowers in place and wrap it around the crown base.
5. To make sure the ends don’t stab the sides of your head, add a little hot glue to dull them.
6. Place it on your head, tie up the ribbon, and ta-da! You have your very own customized and fabulously stylish flower crown that’s perfect for any music festival or beautiful summer day!
Enjoy, collegiettes, and stay safe on Friday!